What sauce would go well with this dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redrabbit

Assistant Cook
I am doing a starter on saturday:

Tomato and aubergine stacked up. E.g.

Tomato
aubergine
Tomato
aubergine

Then cheese on top of it. T his is all roasted btw.

What sauce would you recommend?

Do you think something like a vinegar would be OK? Something easy and simple please :)

I make an appetizer similar to this this way.
Mix some finely crumbled feta cheese with some mayo. Add just a little lime juice to thin out a little. Put in a bowl.
I use Japanese eggplant. Slice J. eggplant about 3/4 inch thick. Dip into mayo mixture to coat eggplant slice.
Dip coated slice in very fine fresh bread crumbs.
Put on an oiled baking sheet and bake @ 350-400* for 20 minutes. Top with a sliced Roma tomato and a dab of pesto. Top that with some asiago cheese and run under the broiler.
If serving as an appetizer, serve 2-3.

For the one you describe at the top, I believe you will need to roast the eggplant first before stacking them. Then you could put it in the oven, but starting from raw will not work--eggplant takes too long.
I do roast it on an oiled cooking sheet for things like moussaka and parmigiana so know that part works.

I'm sorry I don't understand the dish.

Would probably take some nice bread, toast it, put on the roasted tomato and aubergine, top with some cheese, a bit a basil and let the cheese soften a tad in the nuker or oven.

For a sauce, I might suggest a bit of a tomato sauce. Just a tad.

Sounds good to me right now.

I've done something like this often, especially for nice dinners. The plate presentation is beautiful. I've always called it a grilled vegetable napoleon. When I make it, I layer the vegetables into a loaf pan with a bit of pesto, a small bit, between the layers. I let it sit overnight in the fridge, with a brick on top to help pack the layers tightly. After I bake it, I'll let it cool for about 5 minutes or so. This way the tomato won't be tooooo runny. Slice and serve.

If you put a small amount of pesto into the napoleon, I would suggest no sauce, let it stand alone. The flavours of the grill and basil are enough. If you really feel you want a sauce, why not do a hollandaise?

Back
Top Bottom