"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2006, 12:06 AM   #71
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I suppose since some veggies have been cooked to mush in the past, it isn't easy to try them. Cauliflower and broccoli are both delicious done right!
I agree, Licia! that's true for almost any vegetable (except rutabaga!, imo) my big beef about both broc anc cauli, is that people serve them RAW, and I think they are totaly inedible that way.

I don't need to cover either of them in sauce, cheese or other disguises, but I don't like either of them raw, at all.
__________________

__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know, I know - I'm committing the almost original sin by not reading all the posts BUT Andy and BigDog are cracking me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to break into smallish pieces and roast in a very hot oven. I love to roast cauliflower, broccoli, grape tomatoes, beets, mushrooms, WHATEVER, and serve tossed with pasta (like penne) drizzled in olive oil.

I also like to cook until pretty much done (about 10 oz. - just like a box of frozen for a reference point in quantity) and mix with 1 cup of sour cream, salt, and pepper (lots of pepper). Place in casserole dish and crumble saltine crackers on top and dot with butter - 350 for 30 minutes.

I love, love, love to make cauliflower just as you would mashed potatoes. It's one of those low carb dishes that you can still lessen the fat in and still have a great flavor!

There comes a point when we know what we like and what we don't. I think Andy and BigDog have convinced me they don't like cauliflower and I wouldn't convince them otherwise!!!! For them there is no "right" way and that's OK in my book. If you come to my house Andy and BigDog the cauliflower will be long gone - we'll have steaks and........ ..and........... ..and... .......... .tequila!!!!!! (or vodka, or mojitos, or scotch, it'll be your night and your favorites). I won't even try to sneak it in a dessert!!!!!!!!
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #73
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I won't even try to sneak it in a dessert!!!!!!!!
MMMMM cauliflower creme brulee
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #74
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
...If you come to my house Andy and BigDog the cauliflower will be long gone - we'll have steaks and........ ..and........... ..and... .......... .tequila!!!!!! (or vodka, or mojitos, or scotch, it'll be your night and your favorites)...
Sounds like a balanced meal to me!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #75
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Cauliflower and True Love

If you remember this thread, you remember how I feel about the subject veggie.

For a while now, SO has been following a low-carb diet in an attempt to lose a few extra pounds. She borrowed a book from a friend titled, 500 Low-Carb Recipes, by Dana Carpender. She was looking for recipes I could make for her for low-carb meals. I, of course, told her I'd make whatever she wanted.

No good deed goes unpunished. She chose a cauliflower dish! I gulped and tried to change her mind, distract her, make her forget, suggest something else, bribe her, all to no avail. She wanted Smoky Cauliflower and Sausage.

OK, I relented and made it yesterday. It's mashed steamed cauliflower, combined with cream cheese, cooked Italian sausage and sliced smoked Gouda baked in a casserole.

The smell was horrific. Now you don't have to tell me I overcooked it and that's why it smelled. I know. I had to cook it so it was soft enough to mash. I can be thankful for Oust.

Well, she loved it. I guess I earned a few points by making it (or erased some of the minus points I seem to get all the time).

How did it taste? It had cream cheese, smoked Gouda and Italian sausage in it, how do you think it tasted? As Emeril says, "You could put that stuff on a bumper and it would taste good!". Please pass the bumper.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #76
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
This is very good. It contains an ingredient from one of the basic food groups...garlic.

Cauliflower with Aoli
(4 side-dish servings)

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, mashed through a press
Pinch cayenne
1 cauliflower, about 1 1/2 lbs. after trimming
2 bay leaves

In a small bowl combine the olive oil, garlic and cayenne.

Make sure the stem of the cauliflower is trimmed short, so it sits flat. Set the whole cauliflower into a 9-inch glass pie dish and use a pastry brush to "paint" on the olive oil mixture.

Pour about 1/4 cup water around the cauliflower and float the bay leaves in it. Cover the entier dish with vented plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH until the cauliflower is just tender, about 8 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes. Quarter the cauliflower and serve warm or very slightly chilled.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #77
Sous Chef
 
cliveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Caracas, Venezuela
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
If you remember this thread, you remember how I feel about the subject veggie.

For a while now, SO has been following a low-carb diet in an attempt to lose a few extra pounds. She borrowed a book from a friend titled, 500 Low-Carb Recipes, by Dana Carpender. She was looking for recipes I could make for her for low-carb meals. I, of course, told her I'd make whatever she wanted.

No good deed goes unpunished. She chose a cauliflower dish! I gulped and tried to change her mind, distract her, make her forget, suggest something else, bribe her, all to no avail. She wanted Smoky Cauliflower and Sausage.

OK, I relented and made it yesterday. It's mashed steamed cauliflower, combined with cream cheese, cooked Italian sausage and sliced smoked Gouda baked in a casserole.

The smell was horrific. Now you don't have to tell me I overcooked it and that's why it smelled. I know. I had to cook it so it was soft enough to mash. I can be thankful for Oust.

Well, she loved it. I guess I earned a few points by making it (or erased some of the minus points I seem to get all the time).

How did it taste? It had cream cheese, smoked Gouda and Italian sausage in it, how do you think it tasted? As Emeril says, "You could put that stuff on a bumper and it would taste good!". Please pass the bumper.
Let's do a deal, Andy. You send me your delicious cauliflower by Fedex, and I'll return a plate of wood-grilled Top Rump which is almost as gross as roadkill (to me)... my family LOVES it!!!
__________________
cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #78
Head Chef
 
Shunka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Arizona
Posts: 1,023
OOOHHHH!! include a little plate of each to me guys!! Pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll get busy baking bread for you both!!!!
__________________
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #79
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
...It's mashed steamed cauliflower, combined with cream cheese, cooked Italian sausage and sliced smoked Gouda baked in a casserole...
Andy? This sounds all kinds of wonderful, but ... slimming? Where?!

Cauliflower makes great "keftedes" (meatless meatballs? fritters? for the life of me I'm not sure in what category these fit!) -- cooked, including the exterior greens if you can get them, then flaked, add in some flour, an egg or two, and some seasonings, then make them into balls (as ball-y as you can get, that is) and fry them in a bit of olive oil.

Bloody lovely. Thick (Greek, need I say?) yogurt over the top is even better.
__________________
XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #80
Senior Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Outside of Memphis, TN
Posts: 339
Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
Anyone else think breaded deep fried cauliflower is out of the question?
__________________

__________________
FraidKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.