"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Master Chef

Question What to do with eggplant?

The "Do you peel and eggplant?" topic inspired me to buy an eggplant. Ok, so now I have an eggplant. What do I do with it? I was thinking of grilling it. Hopefully, somebody will have some suggestions.

Thanks, SC

PS, I have never cooked an eggplant before.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You could slice it and fry it for eggplant parmesan.

Eggplants are like a sponge. They'll soak up a marinade. If you marinate and grill it, you should have a tasty result.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

I was just going to brush it with olive oil and sprinkle it with herbs and then grill. Andy, would you recommend marinating the eggplant first. What would you marinate it in?

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-13-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Your idea will work great. A marinade was only a suggestion. You could use something as simple as Italian salad dressing. You could do an Asian flavored marinade with soy sauce and ginger. Use whatever you like.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

Thanks for the input. I agree Italian Salad dressing would be great.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-14-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

One of my favourite simple things to do with eggplant is to cube it into say 1/2 inch pieces and cook it in some olive oil until its dark golden and soft, then add some sliced garlic and cook till the garlic softens then toss some fine lemon zest, lemon juice and chopped parsley through it, season to taste.

Goes great with a roast, especially chicken. Could even toss it through pasta if you wanted.

Another favourite of mine is to mix some feta cheese, finely sliced red chilli, mint and lemon juice to taste. Thinly slice the eggplant lengthways, brush with a bit of oil and grill them till golden and tender. Place some of the feta cheese mixture on a part of the eggplant slices and roll them up. Delicious!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:07 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Not the healthiest way, I'm sure, but I like to dip slices in a milk/beaten egg mixture, then in seasoned flour, then fry it.

Barbara
Old 08-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Not the healthiest way, I'm sure, but I like to dip slices in a milk/beaten egg mixture, then in seasoned flour, then fry it.

Barbara
The only way to go I love fried eggplant, but it can be fixed almost the same by just brushing with evoo and putting under the broiler, of course there isn't any breading but it tastes great and a sprinkle of garlic powder is nice too. I take the small japanese eggplant and slice, brush with evoo and then broil and it's like a small chip..Take the large size eggplant do the flour egg and fry then make an eggplant sandwich with provolone slices between two slices of eggplant, make a lemon butter sauce with a touch of white wine and drizzle over the eggplant and bake til cheese melts..yummy
kadesma
Old 08-14-2005, 01:41 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

I love eggplant parmesan, I use my italian grandfathers recipe. Peel the eggplant, slice it thin and layer it between flour sack towels or paper towels. Put something heavy on top and leave it for 3 or 4 hours. Then dip in egg, bread in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels. Pour a thin layer of sauce in a baking dish, then a layer of eggplant, then shredded mozzerella. Keep layering until you've used up all the eggplant and bake on 350 until the sauce sauce bubbles. Its great!
Old 08-14-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtluvsjl
I love eggplant parmesan, I use my italian grandfathers recipe. Peel the eggplant, slice it thin and layer it between flour sack towels or paper towels. Put something heavy on top and leave it for 3 or 4 hours. Then dip in egg, bread in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fry until golden. Drain on paper towels. Pour a thin layer of sauce in a baking dish, then a layer of eggplant, then shredded mozzerella. Keep layering until you've used up all the eggplant and bake on 350 until the sauce sauce bubbles. Its great!
jt,
sounds wonderful, welcome to DC and thanks for sharing a special recipe with us. I will be making some soon..

kadesma

Tags
None