What to do with Jersulem Artichokes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Was given a bag of Jersulem Artichokes by an Uncle from his garden. I love artichokes, but what do I do with these and what do they taste etc. Never heard of these. thanks

they have like a crisp, water chestnut - jicama like consistency. Not a whole lot of flavor. I have literally hundreds if not thousands of them in my backyard,, and im still searching what to do with them. So hopefully someone comes along and can give us a few ideas.

Ive done a few simple things with them, but nothing worth bragging about

Oh, and they dont taste like artichokes at all. Not even in the same family. They grow like weeds, so if you actually plant them, a tall ( 7, 8 feet) stalk will form, similar to a sunglower. But , the flowers will only be about the size of a black eyed susan. But then the next year, u will have 10 times as much as u started with . and u can dig them up through out the winter as u need them ( assuminig someone provides us with something to do with them ). But as i said, like mint, or horse radish.... they will take over your yard, so if u get the desire to try and plant them , keep this in mind

I think the only time I have had them they have been in salads. Like Larry said, they are similar to water chestnuts in texture. They have a mild taste. I would think you could use them anywhere you would use water chestnuts or jicima and your dish, although a bit different than the original, will still work well.

They make wonderful gratins, kinda like potatoes in texture. peel them and saute them in evoo or butter. Thyme and garlic are great flavor enhancers.

Jamie Oliver has a number of delicious recipes I tried a couple of years ago when I was getting acquainted with them. You should be able to find them on line.

YOu need toscrup them really well, as they hold the dirt in every tiny crevice. But they are worth the work. :)

I think those pretty weeds along the greenway where I walk my dogs are Jerusalem artichokes! Very cool if they are; I love harvesting from the wild.

So far, I have found wild sorrel (super good lemony tasting weed), mulberries, blackberries, APRICOTS (on 30 ft trees, can't harvest), wild onions, queen anne's lace and arrowroot.

Regardless of how you prepare them, the first time you use them, do it in a small quantity.

They can produce a minor allergic reaction in some folks, & can produce excess gas problems in others. So just start in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom