what veggies don't you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkath said:
I think artichokes are the most heavenly food in the veggie kingdom![/quote/]
In the Kitchen said:
Okay. How do you fix them? Everyone in store has told me to be careful of the choke? Can choke you? Is this right? I have never ate one and seem to be plentiful in the store.

Cut just the end of the stem, and then cut the pointy part straight across about 1" from top. Then, with scissors, cut each leaf across (parallel to the bottom & top cuts) so you get rid of the sharp "hook". Then, in a large kettle of salted, rolling boiling water, place your artichokes in and then cover. Turn heat down, if the water boils over. I boil till the chokes are just fork tender in the stem.

Then...
drain thoroughly in a collander (turn them head down)
and place each in a bowl. (after all, nobody likes to share!)

Take each leaf off, and dip in melted butter. Scrape just the flesh & about 1/3 of the way up with your teeth. Pure heaven. Discard leaves in your bowl.

When you reach the thin leaves, forget them. Put one hand on the stem half and one on the leaf half. Pull (think New Year's cracker) and you'll see the "choke". With a spoon, CAREFULLY take out just the thistle-looking stuff (this would be on the stem end). You will have a disc-shaped piece of heaven. Cut this into small pieces, and throw them in your leftover melted butter. (think soup) Eat these babies, and you will know why nobody shares.
Also, the part that's left (the leaf end) has what we used to call "the bite-around", which is a circle-shaped portion of the flesh that you can...well...bite around.

I want your input when you try these!

Also, you can eat these with a Garlic Aioli, which is good with either a hot artichoke or cold artichoke, but in my opinion, it is best as made above.

what my mom does is boils them for like 40 min (after cutting off those pointy things) and then we dip the leaves it a itallian vinagrette. once we get down to the heart, you cut out those little hair thingies and you cut the heart up and then eat it.

I thank you for explaining to me about preparation of the artichokes. Do people like to scare you when they say the pot could explode? Then I heard about choking? You two seem like no problem! Sounds wonderful and I will attempt it. Wish you were here to watch that I do it right. So paranoid after negative comments. Maybe they want to deny me the good taste they enjoy. Selfish? People do not seem so sharing in the store. That is why I am grateful to this site because I learn so much. I am sure if I met you in the store and asked for help you would be just as open as you are here. Please continue to practice this as you never know who you will help in life. Thanks again.

I still haven't grown fond of bitter cucumber...yuck...stir fried or in a soup...though DH & the rest of the family loves it.

It's completely different from the regular or English cucumbers you get at the American grocery store. I've never seen it sold in Western grocery stores, only in Asian supermarkets. Man, it's sooooooooooo bitter!!!! The flavor is so strong! That said, of course it's known to be good for you. :?

It looks like a regular cucumber, but it's got bumps all over it and is a lighter color. I've heard that the bigger the bumps are, that means it's not as bitter. Also, the seeds look different, bigger, kind of like the seeds you would see in a squash. The seeds are never eaten, just the "meat".

Most people prepare it in a soup: take the cucumber, remove the pit, add mea/shrimp mixture. It has a clear broth. Or people cut it up and stir fry it with other veggies and or eggs.

Here's a link to what a typical stir fry dish looks like. Note what it says about the healing effects. My mom used to make me eat this as a kid cuz of the health benefits. I still make it once in a while, even though I don't like it. Hubby loves it, me and step son could definitely live w/o it.

http://www.foodno1.com/efoodno1/menu/efood-chantung/efood-ct-beauty/html/efood-ct-beauty-c014m.html

Bitter cucumber is also called bitter melon, that's what it's called in England and Australia. I have only tried it once, I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.

Even if you don't like zucchini, you'll like this recipe--it tastes like potato pancakes!

Zucchini Patties

2 c grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
¼ c chopped onion
½ c flour
½ c grated Parmesan cheese
½ c shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste

In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan, mozzarella, and salt.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls and cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden.

PA Baker said:
Even if you don't like zucchini, you'll like this recipe--it tastes like potato pancakes!

Zucchini Patties

2 c grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1⁄4 c chopped onion
1⁄2 c flour
1⁄2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1⁄2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt to taste

In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan, mozzarella, and salt.

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls and cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden.

Sounds like a good one. Now to go get the ingredients. Thanks

norgeskog said:
In the Kitchen said:
The vegetable I don't care for is acorn squash. I shy away from squash that I have to peel first before preparing. Never fails I either slice my finger or have to take a break when I clean it. Getting the peeling off is such an effort. Any other vegetable seems simples. Oh, shredding cabbage is another one that I don't like. Not for the taste but preparation.

Why do you peel the squash, I just cut them in half, remove seeds and sprinkle cut side with fresh pepper, turn cut side down on oiled parchment paper and roast until desired doneness, then scoop out and continue preparation. I do not like shredding cabbage either, usually cut in wedges and steam or roast.

I knew someone would have easier way. If I would just take time to ask. I thank you norgeskog. I appreciate your time and you saved me lot of aggravation with preparing them. I love to eat them and this sounds like half the battle. Thanks for sharing. You can FEEL what I had to go through.

Generally I don't like cucumbers or zucchini, for the same reason, the slimy wet texture. But I have had cucumbers and zucchini that I liked, don't know what the secret is!

I love tomatos, but not in salad, except for the grape kind.

hmmm, homecook... you might try salting your cucumbers (sliced) and putting them in a colander in the sink or over a bowl to pull some of the moisture out of them. :)

olives(green & black)and sour kraut. I'm married to a Greek so I have to pretend to like olives once in awhile, lol .

marmalady said:
Well, all y'all okra haters are just gonna have to come to South Carolina and have us fix up a mess a fried okra - yew'll see, it's good!

If your okra is slimey - you're not cooking it right. Huh, marmalady?

The only vegi I don't like is one not cooked properly - and just about any canned vegis. About the only canned thing I like is creamed corn.

Back
Top Bottom