Whats a Bermuda Onion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I'm looking through my African-American Heritage Cookbook and there is a recipe that calls for this type of onion. I only know of, white, yellow....I think its referred to as a spanish....right? , red and green.

sizz, a bermuda onion is a type of sweet onion, like a vidalia, walla walla, spanish, or texas sweet. it comes in red yellow or white, like most onions, and is slightly more flat than spherical.

mugsy27 said:
so many disapearing oinion jokes, so little time....
:LOL: That was my thought too :mrgreen:

I like this type of onion, they have a nice sweet sort of flavour to them, and tend to caramlize very well in my experience :)

It all started in 1898 when Bermuda onion seed was planted near Cotulla, Texas. Most of this Bermuda onion seed came from the Canary Islands. As the demand for seed increased, the quality declined. This prompted Texas onion growers to investigate other varieties. The Grano variety was imported from Spain in 1925. Texas A & M University began an onion breeding program in 1933. These breeding efforts continued until 1942, when the Early Texas Grano 502 was released. It is a large, broad-bulbed onion that matures early, is of uniform size, and has a mild, sweet flavor.

Back
Top Bottom