"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
View Poll Results: Poll - What's Your Favorite Way of Preparing Potaoes?
Mashed 24 53.33%
Baked 15 33.33%
Fried (Home Fries/French Fries/Hashbrowns) 16 35.56%
A La Casserole (Au Gratin/Scalloped) 7 15.56%
Soup (Vichyssoise/Chowder) 4 8.89%
Potato Salad 8 17.78%
Gnocci/Dumplings/Pierogies/Pancakes 5 11.11%
Stuffed 10 22.22%
Loaded (Give me some skin, Baby) 8 17.78%
Mr. Potato Head/Other 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2005, 06:06 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
My very favorite is Colcannon. My second favorite is any other way that's not burned or scorched.
Colcannon is (obviously) very popular in Ireland. I'm not a cabbage fan, so I prefer mine just with leeks. Major lol, to your second favourite way Michael

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #32
Executive Chef

In the mashed catagory - One of my favorites is a potato carrot whip with sauteed chunks of onions. Prepare potatoes and carrots and mash together. Add sauteed onion chunks. I also like mashed potatoes with green peas and cold sour cream on top.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #33
Master Chef

Mish, the way my mom got me to eat peas when I was little was by making a "bird's nest" out of the mashed potatoes, and spooning the peas in the center like little green eggs. I still love my potatoes that way.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:46 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Mish, the way my mom got me to eat peas when I was little was by making a "bird's nest" out of the mashed potatoes, and spooning the peas in the center like little green eggs. I still love my potatoes that way.
Constance, if you like sour cream, try adding a cold dollop on top and some pearl onions with the peas. Real comfort food!
Old 10-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #35
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Twice baked potatoes

Doesn't anyone remember twice baked potatoes? They are my favorite served with prime rib. don't forget to add the garlic and cheese to the whipped potaotes.
I alos like oven roasted red skins with garlic, olive oil, rosemary and grated Parmesan.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I love to put hot creamed corn or creamed peas on my mashed potatoes, just like gravy. With regular corn or peas, I will get a fork-full of potatoes and press it into the corn or peas and eat them together.

Barbara
Old 10-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
With regular corn or peas, I will get a fork-full of potatoes and press it into the corn or peas and eat them together.

Barbara
Thats the only way to eat mashed potatoes! I love that procedure.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
heyyyyyyyy i do that too barbara and mj !!!!!!!
here i thought i was the only one lol
Old 10-22-2005, 12:02 AM   #39
Master Chef

Isn't there something in some "culinary" handbook somewhere that says you're supposed to mix the other veges on you plate with your mashed potatoes? You put peas or corn on my plate with some mashed and they are going to get mixed together!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

hash browns

One of my favorites is making hash browns with onions. The rule is, always bake a couple of extra potatoes for a delicious breakfast or supper side dish the next day. Here is the method for perfect shredded hash browns:

Perfect and easy Hash Browns, one serving:

1 large leftover baked potato (that's been refrigerated overnight).
1/2 medium onion, chopped or thinly sliced (optional)
oil
salt & pepper

Heat a small 6-8 inch frying pan with your choice of oil. If you're using cast iron, heat the pan first, and then add oil just before the potatoes. It should be hot and sizzle with a drip of water. I use the "3" setting on my electric stove.

While that's heating, grate your potato into a bowl, using a large or small grate surface--your choice. No need to peel the potato first. Lightly mix in the onion, if desired.

Put potato mixture in the hot pan, and press down firmly with a spatula. Drizzle a little more oil over the top of it and press down again.

Turn this only one time, when it is quite brown on the bottom, keeping it in one piece, which shouldn't be hard if the methods above are followed. When both sides are browned, slide onto a plate and enjoy!

Shelly in Ohio

Tags
None