Which sauce is more veggie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shengchieh

Assistant Cook
I'm heading to Pasta Market later and am looking at
the menu. Which of these sauces are more "veggie"
(nutrition-wise)?

marinara sauce
pesto sauce
basil cream
pomodori sauce

Thank in advance for your help.

Sheng-Chieh

Thank for replying. I did had pomodori sauce for lunch. Like it
but thought the sauce was abit thin. So a followup question: Is
marinara sauce thicker than pomodori sauce? How about pesto
sauce?

Sheng-Chieh

Expanding on Robo, pesto is a paste that is tossed with the pasta. It's almost like an herb dressing rather than a sauce. I still love it and would pick it over marinara.

!!

I'm heading to Pasta Market later and am looking at
the menu. Which of these sauces are more "veggie"
(nutrition-wise)?

marinara sauce
pesto sauce
basil cream
pomodori sauce

Thank in advance for your help.

Sheng-Chieh

All but the Basil Cream. Marinara should be nothing more than tomatoes, basil and a little garlic. Not sure what "pomodori" sauce means. That could be anything the manufacturer puts in it. Pomodoro is tomato in Italian, but read the ingredient list of any of them before you buy.

Pesto is basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmigiano cheese, if it's authentic. But these days with people putting tomato sauce in a jar and calling it "Bruschetta" (which means burnt bread or toast!) it's hard to tell what's in something without reading the ingredient list.

Thank for replying. I did had pomodori sauce for lunch. Like it
but thought the sauce was abit thin. So a followup question: Is
marinara sauce thicker than pomodori sauce? How about pesto
sauce?

Sheng-Chieh

Marinara sauce is as thick or as thin as you make it. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets. I would never buy one in a jar. It is SO easy to make.

Pesto is a paste rather than a sauce, unless something is added to thin it out. Cream is a common addition.

I would never buy one in a jar. It is SO easy to make.

I never buy pasta sauces. I make my own. They taste better, and they're far cheaper to make. Imported stuff are expensive around these parts. Even the local ones are 'gourmet' and are therefore premium-priced.

Back
Top Bottom