"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
All we ever had growing up was either fresh vegetables in season, or canned vegetables, including carrots and spinach, out of season. WE had an old Kelvinator refrigerator with a freezer about the same size as our milk box, so there was very little room for Birdseye stuff once the weeek's meat was stashed in there. What difference does it make whether your grandma canned fresh vegetables in mason jars or professionals canned them in tin cans?

In fact, I prefer canned peas to frozen peas any day. The color of canned peas may be a little off, but frozen peas have the consistency of BBs.

you are on my wave length, frozen peas are just awful. i love the tiny tiny lasure peas the best , love em with purple onion and a little mayo, with soda crackers. a great snack.

babe

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #52
Executive Chef

I haven't had canned carrots since my Grandmother died 33 years ago. She used to cook them for two hours.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #53
Master Chef

We all have preferences about what we like, what we would prefer, etc ... but I think it is a little disingenuous to try to suggest that someone who enjoys "canned spinach" is inferior in any way.

Paula and I grew up in Albany, GA at the same time (3rd-5th grades) ... neither of us came from rich families, and she and I share the experience of being a single parent with two hungry boys to feed - on a very limited budget. Sometimes - canned veggies were the only way to make the food budget work (4-5 cans/$1).

So - for some of us - canned spinach is "comfort" food. My sons - same ages as Paula's sons - also eat canned spinach from time to time ... although they can both now afford fresh or frozen.

There are all kinds of ways to "improve" the flavor of canned stuff ... I still sometimes do what Mom used to do - chop up a slice of bacon and saute it, add a can of drained canned spinach ... I'm back in Mom's kitchen in about 1954. Sometimes I make a roux of bacon grease and flour - and make creamed canned spinach. I can also make creamed canned peas with a small bit of butter ... a little brown sugar and butter - you can make glazed canned carrots.

DiscussCooking is a site for all cooks - of all levels - of all budgets ... not just for folks who can afford the 1-5 Star Restaurant prime ingredients. It's easy to make fresh ingredients taste good - it's a challenge to make something out of a can taste appealing.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #54
Head Chef

Michael, you have hit the nail on the head, as usual. I grew up in Northern New York and we had canned veggies almost exclusively. It's what was available and we liked them. I still use some of them and also some frozen veg's. The sauerkraut I buy comes in a vacuum packed bag and is very good, I think. BTY we always put vinegar on the spinach, not sure where my mother got that idea, but we were as far from Southern as you can get.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
I think it is a little disingenuous to try to suggest that someone who enjoys "canned spinach" is inferior in any way.

Thanks, Michael. as lyndalou said, yours is often the voice of moderation and reason. The diversity and tolerance we find on this board is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #56
Sous Chef

We all have preferences about what we like, what we would prefer, etc ... but I think it is a little disingenuous to try to suggest that someone who enjoys "canned spinach" is inferior in any way.

I hope no one did that because I don't think it's disingenuous; I think it's rude. It's fine to express your opinion about a food or cookware or a method of cooking, but it's not okay, IMO, to do so in a way that demeans others' choices. I've seen some pretty contentious "discussions" veer in that direction quite quickly because some people are so wedded to their own ways.

I do think, though, that it's perfectly appropriate to critique a celebrity chef's approach to cooking, whether that critique be positive or negative.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Those that look down on canned food need to read the history of canned food. It really changed the world. People did not have access to all the fruits and vegetables year round with many developing serious nutritional deficiencies such as scurvy.Once canned products were available people got to try other types of food that would not have survived the trip were they fresh. With gas prices these days we may at some point not be able to get fresh everything. Then one may appreciate that humble can of vegetables.Nothing needed to keep canned food no freezer no freezer burn an a long, long shelf life. So there!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:21 PM   #58
Executive Chef

bumping, I know there are still many opinions
Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 PM   #59
Master Chef

oh, canned veggies aren't that dagnabbin yucky. i like canned peas 'specially. canned taters, carrot, & spinach, yeah, i avoid them just cause thier texture is soggy, others i'm fine with.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As has been said earlier and by others, fresh IS always better, but that's not always available. I use canned goods when fresh or frozen aren't available. Believe it or not, frozen isn't something I can get my hands on.

Having said that, I am just now beginning to be able to eat "processed" carrots. (See my earlier comment about an allergic reaction.) So far, so good.

Haven't tried canned spinach but, in the spirit of experimentation, I'm going to buy some the next time I'm in the market to see what it's about. Gonna see what it's like. Have a feeling it's inexpensive enough that, if I don't care for it, it can be deep 6'd.

Tags
None