"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 05-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Thumbs down Who Likes Canned Spinach and Canned Carrots?

I'm watching Paula Deen who is cooking with her son Bobby. And he openly admitted to eating canned spinich!!

These two canned veggies, I placed in the same category with saurkraut - three of the most horrible and repulsive foods that I will never touch!!

If the carrots or spinich aren't fresh or frozen, they will not be used or eaten by me!

Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Call me a food snob, but the thought of canned veggies in general turn my stomach. I will admit, though, to having no first-hand experience with canned spinach, and I plan to keep it that way.

BTW, after checking out some of Paula Deen's cookbooks at the bookstore, I decided that they were not for me. She uses way too many canned and processed foods. Again, call me a food snob, but her recipes seem stuck in a time warp. Anyone who's claim to fame hinges on, for example, a cake (gooey cake) that relies on a boxed cake mix -- with butter, cream cheese, and a pound of powdered sugar for good measure -- just doesn't qualify, IMO, as chef. I want fresh ingredients that I can taste, not a pile of sweetened, fatty stuff.

/rant.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Canned beans are OK but I really prefer to soak and cook them. Canned asparagus is the worst!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
Canned beans are OK but I really prefer to soak and cook them. Canned asparagus is the worst!
I use canned beans (kidney, pinto, garbanzo, etc.) when I don't have the time to use dried. But they aren't veggies. I don't like canned green beans, though.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Master Chef

I love the gooey butter cakes, as does everyone else I know. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.
I also love canned asparagus spears...I eat'em right out of the can. And I much prefer canned green beans to frozen ones.
I like most canned vegetables, actually, although canned spinach isn't one of them.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I love the gooey butter cakes, as does everyone else I know. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.
I also love canned asparagus spears...I eat'em right out of the can. And I much prefer canned green beans to frozen ones.
I like most canned vegetables, actually, although canned spinach isn't one of them.
Each to his own.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
I use canned beans (kidney, pinto, garbanzo, etc.) when I don't have the time to use dried. But they aren't veggies. I don't like canned green beans, though.
You're right. Beans are not vagetables.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I like canned spinach. I just started making fresh spinach so haven't opened a can in quite a while, but it's in the cupboard if I need it. I much prefer it over frozen. I haven't had frozen spinach yet that wasn't salty or bitter, but that was quite a few years ago that I swore never to buy frozen again.
Canned veggies have their place if you can't get to the store all the time to buy fresh..... that will last a while.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
I am with Connie on this one, love fresh but canned are used many days. Loved canned asparagus- cold too ! No spinach here any way cooked - just fresh ! Like Paula Deen too - have two cookbooks -
Old 05-17-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
Call me a food snob, but the thought of canned veggies in general turn my stomach. I will admit, though, to having no first-hand experience with canned spinach, and I plan to keep it that way.

BTW, after checking out some of Paula Deen's cookbooks at the bookstore, I decided that they were not for me. She uses way too many canned and processed foods. Again, call me a food snob, but her recipes seem stuck in a time warp. Anyone who's claim to fame hinges on, for example, a cake (gooey cake) that relies on a boxed cake mix -- with butter, cream cheese, and a pound of powdered sugar for good measure -- just doesn't qualify, IMO, as chef. I want fresh ingredients that I can taste, not a pile of sweetened, fatty stuff.

/rant.

Another bonified fond user of canned veggies is Sandra Lee. She relies on them heavily, hence the name of her cooking show Semi-Homemade Cooking.

But it's not the canned veggies that urk me. I get so ticked off to no end when I see her using INSTANT GRAVY MIXES!! I mean, come on, how much trouble is it just to make homemade gravy?! Imagine the ridiculous amount of salt that's in that stuff!!

As for Paula, we can say that she never met a stick of butter that she din't like. That's how myself and my sisters started baking at home - with box cake mixes and instant ready-to-spread frosting. As a boy, I was ALWAYS in the kitchen because I was aways fastinated about cooking, intrigued and in awe!! My brothers would all take to the outide activities while I was in the kitchen cooking!

My first homemade cake was a pound cake, and even though it fell a little, it still tasted good, and each time I did it, it got beter and better! But as for canned veggies, the only ones that I use are corn, cream-style corn, peas, green beans and mixed veggies.

These also make great soups and stews as well as veggies for pot roast!

Tags
None