"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Shallots, scallions, leeks, onions (red, white, yellow, sweet, pearl, cippoline) etc.....

All of these have similar flavor profiles, but also have subtle differences. While we all certainly produce fine dishes by substituting whichever we have on hand, the results will not be exactly the same. For example, the robustness of some onions would overpower the delicate flavors of the tarragon and butter in a bearnaise, while the more delicate flavor of a shallot complements it nicely. A shallot would get lost in a hearty chili or stew, while an onion is critical to its flavor.

If you're subbing strong onions for shallots, I'd use a little less than what's called for.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Cooked, they may not make that much of a difference. However, I use RAW shallots a lot and it makes a world of difference. Raw onion can be so overpowering, but shallots give a wonderful aroma of onion without knocking your senses for a loop.

In a recipe that has many ingredients and you are sweating the onions/shallots or cooking them for a long period, yeah, the flavor of onions turn rather mild and probably isn't worth it to use shallots instead, because it'll get lost.

A good test would be to make something like a Béarnaise Sauce. It has just a few ingredients and the mildness of the sauce will help you realize that in something like that, an onion would totally throw off the balance of flavors, whereas a shallot is perfect.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Silversage, I can't believe we posted at the exact same time and both used Béarnaise as an example. Great minds think alike.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Silversage, I can't believe we posted at the exact same time and both used Béarnaise as an example. Great minds think alike.

Or great cooks!!!!!

(I know, that sounds a little arrogant, but the line was just too good to pass up....sorry.)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Just made some last nite.....Made lovely thick veal chops and the recipe suggested using roasted shallots as a side......Neither of us liked them at all....maybe I should have sprinkled a bit of balsamic on them....So, I shall use them now as I would garlic or sweet onion....
Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
Why buy shallots? Because they put you in jail if you steal them!
ROTFLMAO!

Seriously, some folks who cannot eat onions are just fine with shallots. They're a LOT milder than most onions, and altho they are cousins, they impart (imho) quite a different taste and feeling to a dish.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I've found a big difference between different kinds of shallots. The big bulbed shallots I usually find at the grocery store are, to me, a glorified onion. But if you can find French shallots in small, firm bulbs, there will be a more remarkable difference. The rings are much smaller and the flavor is less bitter.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti View Post
I've found a big difference between different kinds of shallots. The big bulbed shallots I usually find at the grocery store are, to me, a glorified onion. But if you can find French shallots in small, firm bulbs, there will be a more remarkable difference. The rings are much smaller and the flavor is less bitter.
Just as there are many varieties of onion, there are many varieties of shallots. And there aren't any "French" shallots in US. they don't do well in our soil.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I find that they are (usually) more mild than a typical yellow onion, and their flavor profile includes more garlic.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
Master Chef

It's been my experience that shallots and white onions are pretty much interchangeable. I use only white onions when onions, or shallots are called for. Although they are always more expensive than the brown ones, I appreciate the more subtle onion flavor. For example, I like raw white onions in salad far better than even a red onion.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None