"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Executive Chef

golden turnips, swedes, rutabagas all the same.

possibly the cooking of the spices. All my curry experience has me cook the spices in oil to blend and soften the flavors.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
golden turnips, swedes, rutabagas all the same.

possibly the cooking of the spices. All my curry experience has me cook the spices in oil to blend and soften the flavors.
That's what I was thinking. I have never had that flavour with rutabagas before, but I sometimes get it with garam masala.

Do you think I should do the spices before I add the tomato? Should I maybe add them before I'm finished cooking onion, garlic, chili? Or cook them first and take them off the pan and put them back later? Or maybe even use a separate pan to them?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I thought rutebuggers are swedes not turnips.?
You are right. But, I have never seen a recipe where they aren't interchangeable.

rutbebuggers
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Could be that your spices are slightly spoilt. If you used dried spices and some little moisture gets into them some how it can turn the flavour to a slightly bitter tang. Likewise if they are not cooked out they can be slightly unusual almost powdery taste to them. Just some thoughts! Let me know what you think.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Master Chef

The humble rutabaga is a cross between a turnip, and cabbage. It is much larger than is a turnip, and a little sweeter. If you play with the veggie in your mouth, you can taste both the turnip and the cabbage flavors.

I won't offer alternate recipes for rutabaga, as that is not what the op is looking for. As for the bitterness, my guess would be that the herbs and spices are to blame. I have never eaten bitter rutabagas; and I've eaten a good number of them in my day.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
Executive Chef

It needs a bit of better butter
Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
It needs a bit of better butter
I think it might have been better with ghee, but I didn't have any.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Betty Botter bought a bit of butter.
The butter Betty Botter bought was a bit bitter
And made her batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter makes better batter.
So Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter
Making Betty Botter's bitter batter better

Tags
recipe

Why is it bitter? I made a rutabaga curry the other night. It was okay, but it tasted a bit bitter to me. DH didn't notice a bitter flavour. I sometimes get the same, unpleasant bitterness when I use garam masala. Any idea what is causing it? I haven't noticed that bitterness when I eat in Indian restaurants. This is the recipe I used: 1 lb of rutabagas peeled and diced 1 onion thinly sliced 1 fresh green chili finely chopped 1 inch piece of ginger minced 1 large fresh tomato chopped 1 tsp of coriander 1 tsp of cumin 1 tsp of salt 1/2 tsp of turmeric 1/2 tsp of ground cloves 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon 1 tsp of brown sugar 1/4 cup of grated creamed coconut Heat 1 Tbs of vegetable oil When the oil is hot, add the cubed turnips and brown them lightly. When they are lightly browned, set them aside. In the same skillet add the sliced onions, ginger and chili. My chili wasn't hot, so I added 1 tsp crushed dry chili. Cook until the ginger and chili are soft and the onions are translucent and slightly browned. Add the chopped tomato. Cook a bit longer Add the sugar, cumin, coriander, cloves, cinnamon and salt. Stir, then add the turmeric and stir. Cook for about 1 minute then add in the coconut. Stir well and add the browned turnips. Add about 1/3 cup of water, stir well and put a lid on the pan. Simmer everything for about 15 to 20 minutes. Check the turnips for tenderness. They shouldn't be too soft. Reduce the sauce if necessary. The sauce should be on the thick side. 3 stars 1 reviews