Wild asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend invited me over to stalk the wild asparagus with her. Here's a pick of what I brought home. I've chopped some of the stalks and tossed those in the freezer for omelets (a la my dad), plan on having an asparagus-mushroom-cheese omelet for breakfast tomorrow. Definitely will steam some tonight...not sure what else I'll do with it, but I definitely am not sharing (except in pictures!):

Attachments

• Asparagus.jpg
    Asparagus.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
I keep hearing how some put left over or over abundant vegetables like peppers in the freezer. How well would asparagus freeze?

I have a garden that I have to share as I cannot eat it all myself. But I have never for example frozen bell pepper. I don't think all vegetables are suitable for freezing?

I keep hearing how some put left over or over abundant vegetables like peppers in the freezer. How well would asparagus freeze?

I have a garden that I have to share as I cannot eat it all myself. But I have never for example frozen bell pepper. I don't think all vegetables are suitable for freezing?

Take a look at your frozen foods section at your local supermarket. Can you buy a bag of raw bell pepper from the freezer? Then I would say you can freeze them at home. Same with onion, and may other veggies. Some veggies need to be blanched before they are frozen. Some have to be fully cooked. :angel:

I chop up sweet peppers and toss them in the freezer. I don't blanch them. I use these in dishes that require the peppers to be cooked in the sauce. I toss jalapenos and other hot peppers in the freezer whole. I toss chopped onions in the freezer, ditto re roasted garlic if I have any, chopped celery.

My girlfriend in Atlanta sends me a crate of Vildalia onions and I spend the day chopping and dicing them. Some of them a small dice and some in long slices. I happen to one of those weird folks that doesn't cry when working with onions. I think it may be because I wear glasses. :angel:

My girlfriend in Atlanta sends me a crate of Vildalia onions and I spend the day chopping and dicing them. Some of them a small dice and some in long slices. I happen to one of those weird folks that doesn't cry when working with onions. I think it may be because I wear glasses. :angel:

I'm sure you could buy a bag of Vidalias locally for much less than the cost of shipping.

I wear glasses, too, but chopping onions does make my eyes tear up. I light a candle and turn on the ceiling fan when I chop onions.

I'm sure you could buy a bag of Vidalias locally for much less than the cost of shipping.

I wear glasses, too, but chopping onions does make my eyes tear up. I light a candle and turn on the ceiling fan when I chop onions.

I am sure I could. But these are sent to me as a gift. I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. I accept it with grace and gratitude.

She has a standing order with the farmer that on the first day he is picking, he packs the crate and ships them off to me. I am thankful for them. :angel:

He doesn't allow them to dry first? That's odd.

Here's how I cured the onions I grew (of course there weren't as many!).

But depending on weather----- then can also be cured in a barn or some such.

sept+1+onions+drying.JPG

Back
Top Bottom