Wild Asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to say this, but I ate enough asparagus today to last me until Saturday.

Brat.

I got a second asparagus spear that wasn't there yesterday! Beetle-free, and almost 18 inches long! It was chopped up and added to the tuna casserole.

Last edited:
Here is a photo to show how fast these asparagus can grow. Mind you they were not here yesterday, they grew overnight after a little rain and sun. Also
there are males & females. Of course the females are slimmer then the males & are not as bitter. Thought you ladies would like to hear that, LOL

img_1420918_0_5981cdfca46dd0273ce0c1e35e53c300.jpg

Today I found another female that wasn't there yesterday. Of course it had a beetle on it.

The Thursday Farmers' Market opened in Putnam, CT today, so Himself and I took a little trip down there. As usual, we were late leaving home. Many things were gone. However, we did get there in time to see what one of the stands was selling wild asparagus for - $5.99 a pound! :ermm: Since we had just paid $$$ out-of-pocket for one of his meds (guess he already fell into his Medicare donut-hole...) we were happy the asparagus was gone. Got green beans at the corner grocery store for 99 cents a pound instead.

...Also there are males & females. Of course the females are slimmer then the males & are not as bitter. Thought you ladies would like to hear that, LOL...
Apparently, plant life does not always mimic human life. :LOL:

The Thursday Farmers' Market opened in Putnam, CT today, so Himself and I took a little trip down there. As usual, we were late leaving home. Many things were gone. However, we did get there in time to see what one of the stands was selling wild asparagus for - $5.99 a pound! :ermm: Since we had just paid $$$ out-of-pocket for one of his meds (guess he already fell into his Medicare donut-hole...) we were happy the asparagus was gone. Got green beans at the corner grocery store for 99 cents a pound instead.

Apparently, plant life does not always mimic human life. :LOL:

Sounds like Himself was a little cranky. A nap cures that. :angel:

I could live on asparagus and butter...
I microwave steam mine without any water added. I add butter and some fresh grated parmesan cheese on top (if there is any leftover put in a pan, warm up, add scrambled eggs and make an omelet! . YUMMY!

Looks good, Joey. How I wish we had wild asparagus growing in these parts.

MsM, I steam asparagus in the microwave sometimes, too - turns out great and keeps that lovely green and crispness.

Looks good, Joey. How I wish we had wild asparagus growing in these parts.

MsM, I steam asparagus in the microwave sometimes, too - turns out great and keeps that lovely green and crispness.
Yup. I do all my veggies (some exceptions like mashed taters) in the microwave without any added liquid. The corn on the cob is so good steamed (sweet and tender) rather than water logged from boiling. And I think the veggies taste much better and keep all the healthy vitamins and minerals. I also dislike mushy veggies unless meant to be soft. Tender crisp is what I like.

Those look wonderful!!! I'm with PrincessFiona60 - butter (garlic butter) a pinch of salt and a healthy appetite!

Those look wonderful!!! I'm with PrincessFiona60 - butter (garlic butter) a pinch of salt and a healthy appetite!

Toss the beefy spears (with woody ends trimmed) in EVOO with kosher salt and minced fresh garlic, then on the grill until they are tender crisp.... not much in the way of green food that's any better than that. :yum:

Wrap in bacon and grill

I think I just chaneled PACanis :LOL: :angel:

Last edited:
Wrap in bacon and grill

I think I just chaneled PACanis :LOL: :angel:

Similar but different - Asparagus wrapped with a strip of prosciuto and a strip of puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm) spiraled up the spear, then baked at 400°. My wife makes this for an appetizer when we have friends over, or if she has to take an appetizer when we visit. There are never any leftovers. In fact it's hard to make one batch last until the next comes out of the oven. :yum:

Last edited:
You can serve them cold, without the puff pastry. My neighbor did asparagus spears with a little bit of lemon zest sprinkled on them before she wrapped each in prosciutto. :yum: I think it might be nice if you even smeared some soft cheese, maybe a herb goat cheese or Boursin, onto the stalk before wrapping in the prosciutto.

Bartered 2 dozen eggs for 2 lb of wild asparagus today. Just haven't decided what to do with it....thinking...thinking....thinking. I have some 2x smoked bacon...thinking...

Back
Top Bottom