Wild Asparagus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Decided! I am not going to make homemade pasta--have dry linguini. I boiled the fiddleheads, cooked the bacon, and the sausage. I saved the fiddlehead water for cooking the pasta...still waiting to hear back from 3 chefs whether that is safe or not...did that 3 days ago, didn't get sick, didn't die.

I have fresh moz. in the fridge. My plan is to roast the asparagus, the fiddleheads, some of the wild leek bulbs. I will make a pesto out of some of the roasted fiddleheads and wild leek bulbs. The salad will be a grilled Caesar using the romaine lettuce, bacon, black olives, anchovies, capers, parm and a roasted leek bulb or two, all shook up...what else do I have in the fridge/pantry...no croutons, but who needs croutons when you have 2x smoked local bacon?

This is what you can barter 2 dozen eggs for in Eastern Ontario during wild asparagus season.

Attachments

• Egg_asparagus_barter.jpg
    Egg_asparagus_barter.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
If the asparagus water doesn't sit around for very long, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe for boiling the pasta. I would make sure to put a lit on the pot so fewer microbes fall into it.

It's the fiddlehead fern water I'm using. It is in the fridge. But yes, I could use the asparagus water except I'm roasting the asparagus.

It's the fiddlehead fern water I'm using. It is in the fridge. But yes, I could use the asparagus water except I'm roasting the asparagus.

You have to bring the fiddlehead water to a boil to cook the pasta. So I would think that even before you add the pasta, any microbes that may have found their way into the pot have been killed off in the second boiling. The first boiling being the cooking of the fiddleheads. :angel:

You have to bring the fiddlehead water to a boil to cook the pasta. So I would think that even before you add the pasta, any microbes that may have found their way into the pot have been killed off in the second boiling. The first boiling being the cooking of the fiddleheads. :angel:
Did that. I didn't get sick, so it must have worked! It did add that subtle "nutty" flavor to the otherwise bland pasta. I also roasted some of the cooked fiddleheads to up the flavor.

Back
Top Bottom