Your Favorite Asparagus Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't make any comment on lemon jello.....:LOL:
Two very simple ways, that I was sure to be the most common....
Eggs and asparagus. Boil asparagus, than put it in a pan with some butter, and crash two eggs over. Simple, quick and good. Possibly, use the white ones, those fully edible.
Asparagus and bacon. An appetizer. Use only the green points of asparagus: boil them, wind up four or five of them with a slice of bacon, and put in the oven till bacon is crispy.

My favorite is probably just to drizzle a little oil on them, a dash of salt, and then onto the drill with 'em!

They go great with just about any type of grilled food.

John

I like mine with butter and lemon. Another favorite is to par-boil or steam the asparagus, lay in a glass baking dish and top with slices of hard boiled eggs, and then sharp cheddar cheese. Bake until cheese is golden. Very yummy, though not terribly healthy.

I like to saute mine for a few minutes in a little olive oil and a pat of butter with a bit of minced garlic, S&P, then give them a good squeeze of lemon juice, cover, reduce heat, and let steam until tender.
Any leftover cooked asparagus you have is wonderful on a salad the next day.
We also like it in creamy pasta dishes and stir fries.

We also actually like canned asparagus spears too...just chill them in the fridge and serve with a dollup of your favorite salad dressing. Kim likes his with French or Catalina. I like mine naked. If you want to be fancy, garnish with a few strips of pimento.

wardstewart said:
The lemon jello sounds grotesque!

Be reminded that Asparagus does not need to be COOKED Like modern corn on the cob it only has to be made hot enough to hold the butter.
I could not agree more. I think most of us disliked many veggies that we were served as children because they were severly over cooked. Who wants a mushy veg? Asparagas is good uncooked too.

I always make asparagas soup when the price is right or I have extra. Nothing better!

My S-I-L makes a casserole that she thinks is delicious and I think is barf time. Canned white asparagas, mushroom soup and hard boiled eggs. Maybe something else in it but I do not think so.

Thanks for all your ideas! I think I will try roasting them in the oven with some evoo, s&p and maybe some garlic for my first attempt. Will let you know how it turns out.

How long do you usually roast it and at what temp.?

RDG, I love asparagus in omelets...I'll try doing it your way. It sounds delicious.

Another eggey thought: How about putting your egg and asparagus on a toasted English muffin with a slice of cheese and a couple strips of bacon?

Or you could use Canadian bacon or proscuitto, lay on the asparagus, top with poached egg and Hollandaise Sauce. Hmmm...is that already a dish?

grumblebee

grumblebee said:
kitchenelf posted a lovely recipe for asparagus lasagna awhile ago. I made it and it was absolutely heavenly!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/asparagus-lasagna-thinking-of-grumblebee-here-19345.html

~VB

thank you for bringing this to our attention. possibly I did see this but figured I would wait till asparagus came in season to try. Now is the time to try and i thank you for this reminder. It does sound wonderful and different. We are fond of goat cheese and especially asparagus.

Just a brief note: Strawberries must be in season at the store. Saw crowd around this guy putting something on the table and to my surprise was big red strawberries. I am afraid to split apart. Although they look like a picture, may not have flavor smaller ones do. I rather have them taste good and not look as good. Since I bought them will have to see what I got?

Kitchen, some of those shipped in berries are pretty good anymore. New hybrids and modern growing methods are extending growing seasons and improving quality more and more every day.
It's the same with lot's of other fruits and vegies.

Hybrid

Constance, Since you feel that they are good quality that is sure reassuring. I always pay attention when you submit some kind of recipe. I feel confident in what you say so I won't be such a skeptic anymore. Always nice to have someone tell me to not be so particular or is the term peculiar? Times are not the same anymore and I have to trust things to be better than they were. Thanks for addressing my comments. Appreciate all your advice.

I just winged this for supper yesterday and it was soooo good!!

img_256366_0_949395d1cc12830176df12c8416f3854.jpg

-the base, 1 puff pastry sheet, circa 24cm/10inch square, with extra 4 strips of the same length, fold them over lengthwise and make a border on each edges. poke the flat surface generously with a fork (to avoid having it rise too much while precooking)

-precook it for about 12 minutes at 210°C/425°C until they are LIGHTLY golden, but not quite thoroughly. Let it cool.

-spread the surface with the mixture of ricotta, grated parmigiano, pinch of nutmeg and white pepper, creamed together (bring the ricotta to a room temperature as it will be easier to mix and spread.)

-cover the ricotta with short slices (2-3 cm or 1 inch, and the whole tips) of pre-steamed asparaguses, then top with smoked provola (or smoked mozzarella can be substituted), cut into small cubes, put it back in the oven at 180°C/350°F, bake it for about 10minutes or the cheese is nicely melted and the border of the pastry is completely golden.

Back
Top Bottom