"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-30-2006, 11:42 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Something I did not too long ago was baked polenta, topped with ham, asparagus sauteed in garlic & red pepper flakes with provolone melted over the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinner.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1247  

Old 03-31-2006, 01:44 AM   #32
Contest Winner

kitchenelf posted a lovely recipe for asparagus lasagna awhile ago. I made it and it was absolutely heavenly!

Asparagus Lasagna (thinking of Grumblebee here)

~VB

Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #33
Executive Chef

grumblebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
kitchenelf posted a lovely recipe for asparagus lasagna awhile ago. I made it and it was absolutely heavenly!

Asparagus Lasagna (thinking of Grumblebee here)

~VB
thank you for bringing this to our attention. possibly I did see this but figured I would wait till asparagus came in season to try. Now is the time to try and i thank you for this reminder. It does sound wonderful and different. We are fond of goat cheese and especially asparagus.

Just a brief note: Strawberries must be in season at the store. Saw crowd around this guy putting something on the table and to my surprise was big red strawberries. I am afraid to split apart. Although they look like a picture, may not have flavor smaller ones do. I rather have them taste good and not look as good. Since I bought them will have to see what I got?
Old 03-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #34
Master Chef

Kitchen, some of those shipped in berries are pretty good anymore. New hybrids and modern growing methods are extending growing seasons and improving quality more and more every day.
It's the same with lot's of other fruits and vegies.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Hybrid

Constance, Since you feel that they are good quality that is sure reassuring. I always pay attention when you submit some kind of recipe. I feel confident in what you say so I won't be such a skeptic anymore. Always nice to have someone tell me to not be so particular or is the term peculiar? Times are not the same anymore and I have to trust things to be better than they were. Thanks for addressing my comments. Appreciate all your advice.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I just winged this for supper yesterday and it was soooo good!!

-the base, 1 puff pastry sheet, circa 24cm/10inch square, with extra 4 strips of the same length, fold them over lengthwise and make a border on each edges. poke the flat surface generously with a fork (to avoid having it rise too much while precooking)

-precook it for about 12 minutes at 210°C/425°C until they are LIGHTLY golden, but not quite thoroughly. Let it cool.

-spread the surface with the mixture of ricotta, grated parmigiano, pinch of nutmeg and white pepper, creamed together (bring the ricotta to a room temperature as it will be easier to mix and spread.)

-cover the ricotta with short slices (2-3 cm or 1 inch, and the whole tips) of pre-steamed asparaguses, then top with smoked provola (or smoked mozzarella can be substituted), cut into small cubes, put it back in the oven at 180°C/350°F, bake it for about 10minutes or the cheese is nicely melted and the border of the pastry is completely golden.

Tags
None