Your Favorite Asparagus Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhanson

Cook
I developed a dislike for asparagus as a kid and have always avoided it. Could be due to the lemon jello with mushy asparagus in it that my grandmother used to make for holidays!! Anyway, was really hungry a few weeks ago and tried some (maybe steamed or roasted) asparagus spears on my plate at The Cheesecake Factory and I kind of liked them, although they were a little blah. I was wondering how all of you asparagus lovers like to prepare it?

Lori

I love mine either grilled on the BBQ or roasted in the oven with Extra Virgin Olive Oil sprinkled on it and S & P. Sometimes I drizzle fresh lemon juice on it too.

I'm very boring when it comes to veggies. I like them steamed no butter no lemon, no sauce.

Roasted is good too though. Make a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil. Cut your veggie into bite size pieces and mix in the oil. Roast in oven. Yummers.

lhanson said:
I developed a dislike for asparagus as a kid and have always avoided it. Could be due to the lemon jello with mushy asparagus in it that my grandmother used to make for holidays!!

Lori

I would hate it also!:sick:

I used to hate asparagus too. When mom made it she always cooked it to death. They lost the bright green color and became mush. I like mine cooked, but crisp.

I make them all different ways and love them each way. Sometimes I just steam them and add a little salt or sometimes some olive oil as well. Sometimes I marinate them with other veggies in whatever things I have laying around (olive oil, peanut oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, etc.) and grill them. Crewsk posted a recipe on here a while ago. I don't remember what was in them, but I think butter and lemon and it was delicious. I even like eating them raw.

Asparagus in Stir Fry

Although there aren't any vegetables that I absolutely won't eat, asparagus has never been high on my list of favorites unless it's covered with hollandaise sauce alongside a nice piece of salmon.

That said, however, I couldn't resist buying a big fresh-looking bunch of it on sale, & developed the following Asian stir-fry dish that is now a staunch favorite around here:

Chicken Asparagus with Oyster/Black Bean Sauce

2 boneless skinless chicken breast pieces (about a pound or so), sliced & cut into bitesized pieces
1 bunch fresh asparagus (about a pound or so), tough ends trimmed & cut into 2" pieces
2 stalks of Bok Choy, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
2" piece of fresh Ginger, peeled & minced
3 large or 6 small cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
3 tablespoons Chinese salted/preserved/fermented black beans
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon oriental chile paste/sauce
8 fresh shitake mushrooms, stemmed & quartered
3 tablespoons or so Peanut or vegetable oil for stirfrying
Cooked Jasmine Rice for serving.

Soak salted preserved beans in hot tap water to cover & let sit for 15 minutes. Drain beans, add garlic, & mash together with a fork to make a rough paste. Add sherry, oyster sauce, & chile paste & stir.

Bring a pot of water large enough to hold asparagus pieces to a boil & add all asparagus pieces except for the tips. Boil for 2 minutes, then add tips & boil for another minute. Drain.

Make rice according to package directions & set aside.

Heat wok (or large frying/saute pan) until drop of water sizzles. Add oil & swirl.
Add Bok Choy & ginger & stirfry for 1 minute. Add chicken pieces & continue stirfrying until chicken is just about cooked thru. Add mushrooms & stirfry for another minute. Add blanched asparagus & bean paste mixture & stir for another minute. (If there isn't enough moisture in the pan, you can add a splash or 2 of water or chicken broth.)

Serve over Jasmine Rice.

lighly peel the butt end, roll in olive oil and season, add a littl eminced garlic, roast until hot and just lightly browned (20 min, shake pan every 5 or so) toss on a 1/4 tsp o fherb de provence and shake pan again to meld flavors, serve.

or lightly steam and serve with chipotle mayo dipping sauce! wow!

One way we all love other than steamed crisp and dunk in mayo, is to roast the asparagus in the oven after you first drizzle with evoo, coarse salt and a little black pepper. Cook about 10-12 min depends on how crisp or done you like it..Remove from oven and let cool eough so you can handle it. Wrap in prosciutto and lay on platter. pour the evoo from the roasting pan over the platter of asparagus adding more evoo if need be. Then grate some parmesan over the whole thing...

kadesma:)

For me, plain is best. Either brushed with garlic infused oil and grilled, or steamed till tender crisp and dressed with melted butter:)

Asparagus any style.

But agree with Sizzlin that baked is high on the list.

My method is close to Sizzlin's.

Usually put evoo in pan (1/4 inch maybe) and then fry some finely sliced garlic.

Then filter out the garlic, add asparagus to the pan and roast at 350.

Then at the end add freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

aspargus season

they are about ready to be available from the local farmers here. strawberries and aspargus same time. two of my favorites.

way I like aspargus is steamed to just crisp tender. two poached eggs on top w/hollandaise sauce. since I am the only one who likes eggs, I make it for myself when no one eating at home. really wonderful w/slice of toasted bread.

I can eat aspargus any time of the year but preferably fresh.

Asparagus went on sale today. Going to be going to the store tomorrow. Wish my brother would get down here from MI to show me where that asparagus grows near my hometown. But i have to wait till Easter weekend.

The lemon jello sounds grotesque!

Be reminded that Asparagus does not need to be COOKED Like modern corn on the cob it only has to be made hot enough to hold the butter.

Back
Top Bottom