Your Ultimate Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Is your favorite baked, scalloped, fried or ...?

My favorite is baked on the grill, with lots of butter, a bit of sour cream and horseradish mixed, chives and cheddar or freshly grated parmesan cheese.

How about you?

Can't really say i have just one favorite, as I never met a potato I didn't like!

Best way I can think of is having cubed potato cook slowly in a thick curry until they are soft as anything and have soaked up all the flavours...mmmmmm.

Hmmmm that's a toughie. i have to say mashed with salt pepper butter and garlic.
baked with a ton of butter garlic and sour cream would be a very close second.

My favorite is french fries that are nice and crispy on the outside and wonderfully tender on the inside. Sigh haven't had a french fry in over a year. :(

I also love potatoes pretty much any way except baked. If push comes to shove, I guess I'd have to say hash browns are maybe my favorite...but I love 'em mashed and as french fries, too. And I can't forget scalloped potatoes!:chef:

Once I drop about another 20 lbs, I might have to make potato cakes. Basically I grate raw potatoes and place them on a clean towel. Then I roll 'em up and wring out all the water. I pour them into a mixing bowl along with an egg yolk, seasoning with salt, pepper and garlic. Then I stir in some minced onion and form into balls a wee bit bigger than a golf ball. Lastly, I flatten them into thick patties and fry in about 1/4 " of oil til they're nice and brown.

Mmmm...I'm getting hungry!:ROFLMAO:

I have two top favorites.. cubed and fried in oil with lots of garlic, salt and onions. Right before they are done I add butter and fry until they are toasty brown all over.

And Baked... I mirco wave for two or three minutes and then rub melted butter all over and sprinkle with salt. Then bake until the skins are hard and the insides are nice and soft. Cut in half and top with butter, salt and lots of just cooked bacon bits with the fat removed. OH YUMMY!

steak fries with salt and malt vinegar; boiled baby redskins with thyme butter; baked idaho's with lawry's seasoned salt; or baked with sour cream, chives, and frizzled onions; yukon gold's mashed with roasted garlic and baby peas (folded in); or yukon gold's mashed with lobster legmeat and a little of the water the lobster was boiled in; idaho's quartered and tossed with s&p, evoo, sage, and rosemary, then roasted; oops, gotta run. will finish later. so many spuds, so little time...

Last edited:
IcyMist said:
My favorite is french fries that are nice and crispy on the outside and wonderfully tender on the inside. Sigh haven't had a french fry in over a year. :(

Me too Icy!!
I don't make them on my own, I can't get them right. Last night, we ate hamburgers, which I did realy good on until I made the stupid Orieda extra crispy fries. Well, that shot my good run all to heck. Oh but they were soooo goooood!!:ROFLMAO:
Tonight, I'm eating baked chicken breast and a salad to make up for it.

We even have bbq potatoes.

bbqpotato.JPG

BBQ, sour cream bbq sauce.

Those plates were Brian's grandmother's also. They came with the house.

All of the above. Another favorite is to bake potatoes until just done, then let them cool until you can handle them. Cut them into quarters or eighths and fry them in half evoo and butter until they are crispy and brown on the outside. They are wonderful.

my favorite is boiled purple potatoes sliced up, skin-on, with a spoonful of sour cream and sliced scallions or chives and some seasalt and fresh-cracked black pepper.

I love potatoes every way, but mashed potatoes are my all-time favorite! My Grandma White used to mash them with a wooden mallet.

lyndalou said:
All of the above. Another favorite is to bake potatoes until just done, then let them cool until you can handle them. Cut them into quarters or eighths and fry them in half evoo and butter until they are crispy and brown on the outside. They are wonderful.

Oh gooodnesssss! I'd better not try these. I'm sure
to love them way too much. Wonderful! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom