Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Cauliflower
Beets
Lima beans
Whole chick peas (OK in Hummus)
Kale (by association, never actually had it)
Rhubarb

No doubt there are others I don't recall at the moment.

I do like brussels sprouts.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No matter how you cook 'em, Brussels sprouts are evil and disgusting. I don't care for kale but can choke it down if need be. I can also choke down sweet potato if it's not covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Most other veggies I'm OK with.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Cauliflower
Beets
Lima beans
Whole chick peas (OK in Hummus)
Kale (by association, never actually had it)
Rhubarb

No doubt there are others I don't recall at the moment.

I do like brussels sprouts.
Cauliflower. My first husband loved it, I can't stand to even have it in my home. So every so often he would buy a head and prepare it to his liking. I refused to eat it. I do like Rhubarb Pie.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
No matter how you cook 'em, Brussels sprouts are evil and disgusting. I don't care for kale but can choke it down if need be. I can also choke down sweet potato if it's not covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Most other veggies I'm OK with.
An curse on mankind. Also the green string bean casserole. Some foods need to be presented just as they are.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Not crazy about over doctored veggies, if you have to put that much stuff on them to make them palatable to you, you probably don't like them.

Things that don't hit my plate:
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Kale
Parsnips
Over cooked cabbage
Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Senior Cook

There were things I didn't like as a child, but like now, for an obvious reason: back then, they were canned vegetables, or, if they weren't canned, cooked to death! The reason so many people don't like brassicas! Cooking veggies to death was the norm, back then.

There is one vegetable I can't eat: beets. Simply put, they taste like dirt to me. I think it is a genetic thing, like the cilantro gene causing that to taste like soap to some people. I even tried growing different varieties, but they all had the taste. I met somebody recently that said that they had the same experience, and we both said "so it's not just me!".

My uncle HATED cauliflower his entire life, until my mom got him to try the cauliflower au gratin I fixed for all of our family get togethers. He finally tried it, to shut her up, and immediately he said "This isn't cauliflower. This is one of those weird vegetables you grow in your garden. Cauliflower couldn't taste like this!" After that, the first thing he'd say to me when he'd see me at all these gatherings was "You brought some of that weird stuff in the cheese sauce, right?" He'd get us laughing every time, even though we'd know it was coming.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
..."This isn't cauliflower. This is one of those weird vegetables you grow in your garden. Cauliflower couldn't taste like this!"...
Your uncle loved the cheese sauce which is all you can taste in that dish.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
There were things I didn't like as a child, but like now, for an obvious reason: back then, they were canned vegetables, or, if they weren't canned, cooked to death! The reason so many people don't like brassicas! Cooking veggies to death was the norm, back then.
Amen.

Years ago, I had a friend over for dinner, and served brussel sprouts. He politely put two on his plate. After the first bite, it was "These are brussel sprouts? I've only had them when they smelled like overcooked cabbage!" He became a brussel sprouts fan.

Cauliflower - cut into florets and roast, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Yum!
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Vegis I won't eat because of the taste:
#1 khaki coloured peas. I don't care how they got that colour, canned or just plain overcooked. I can't stand them. Never could. I'm fine with fresh or frozen lightly cooked peas. I love eating raw peas out of the shell.

Squash, with the exception of spaghetti squash and zucchini. I can handle those, but I do not enjoy them.

Overcooked cabbage. I don't even want to be in the same room as cabbage rolls. The smell kills me. I don't know what was different about the kåldolmar (Swedish cabbage rolls) that my grandmother made, other than no tomato sauce. Those were good.

I am interested in giving lima beans another try. I used to detest them, so I have avoided them for decades. But, I like the marinated fava beans that I have had in a Greek resto, so maybe.

Some veg I only like as an ingredient, usually chopped small:
Eggplant, but for some reason, I really like baba ghanoush.
Big pieces of bell pepper. I enjoy them julienned in a salad or as an ingredient in pasta sauce or on pizza.
Spinach

I don't like bitter vegis: dandelion greens, broccolini, bok choy, most wild greens. I won't complain if they are served to me, but I won't buy them at the store or order them in a resto.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #20
Head Chef

Kåldolmar, the cabbage is first lightly cooked to soften, then wrapped around the meat and then brushed with sirap ( Swedish form of golden syrup with no brunt taste), butter and soy and then baked. That is heaven on a plate and I cant eat it cause my belly cant handle that much cabbage.

Tags
egg, veggies