Yuk To Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find myself not making as many side salads these days. I only buy pre-packaged salad mixes anyways. "Mainly Romaine" is always my choice. I was turned off by some major makers of salad packs not rinsing all the dirt off before packaging. That didn't help. I bought a salad spinner and used it on that company's bad tasting salad package. After one thorough spinning, the salad still had a dirt taste to it. I expect major makers of salad packs to rinse their salad thoroughly so that I don't have to salad spin them.

As some have mentioned, you should rinse packaged salads anyways just to be safe from food born pathogens. You can rinse spin packaged salad and still get food poisoning. :ohmy: I should, but don't usually spin rinse packaged salads (if they do a good job at rinsing before packaging). I know, I'm taking my chances.

There are only a few nationally known brands of packaged salads. One of them let me down big time (dirt taste remained after rinse spinning).

Last edited:
I’m finding it’s not necessarily the vegi I don’t like but maybe it’s prep.
Say instead of boiled now we roast some with spices or I’ll add them as ingredients to my soups but not sit and eat them raw. So sometimes if you don’t like it you just haven’t had it good yet and there are a good handful left in that list for me

This thread was started asking you all to list the veggies you don't like. Thus the title.

If anyone wants to start a thread about the veggies you love, go for it.

I find myself not making as many side salads these days. I only buy pre-packaged salad mixes anyways. "Mainly Romaine" is always my choice. I was turned off by some major makers of salad packs not rinsing all the dirt off before packaging. That didn't help. I bought a salad spinner and used it on that company's bad tasting salad package. After one thorough spinning, the salad still had a dirt taste to it. I expect major makers of salad packs to rinse their salad thoroughly so that I don't have to salad spin them.

As some have mentioned, you should rinse packaged salads anyways just to be safe from food born pathogens. You can rinse spin packaged salad and still get food poisoning. :ohmy: I should, but don't usually spin rinse packaged salads (if they do a good job at rinsing before packaging). I know, I'm taking my chances.

There are only a few nationally known brands of packaged salads. One of them let me down big time (dirt taste remained after rinse spinning).

I wash packaged salad. In fact I wash all of my veggies, even the ones that say "washed and ready to eat."

Sorry if I tangented out.

If there's a track to get back on, sorry for getting off track.

No, it wasn't you. They're talking about something else ;)

I have a veg that I developed a love/then hate/then kinda-once-in-a-while relationship with.

One of my favorite vegetables used to be asparagus. I could eat the stuff every day and not get tired of it. However, several years ago, it just so happened to be the very last thing I ate before I became horribly sick with the flu. After that, I couldn't even LOOK at asparagus without gagging. And it lasted years.

Then one day I decided I would very slowly try to incorporate it back into my regular diet. The first time I could only eat a tiny bit, then had to stop. Then I eventually worked my way up to a normal sized serving. However, to this day, I can only eat it maybe once every 6 months.

It's bizarre how your brain can suddenly put you off of certain foods, especially if you get sick not long after you've eaten it or while you're eating it. For example, my son's Aunt gorged herself once on shrimp (she used to love it) and ate so much that she made herself sick. To this day she won't go anywhere near it.

So yeah, I guess I have to add asparagus to my "kind of like, but not really all that much" list.

Last edited:
I have a veg that I developed a love/then hate/then kinda-once-in-a-while relationship with.

One of my favorite vegetables used to be asparagus. I could eat the stuff every day and not get tired of it. However, several years ago, it just so happened to be the very last thing I ate before I became horribly sick with the flu. After that, I couldn't even LOOK at asparagus without gagging. And it lasted years.

Then one day I decided I would very slowly try to incorporate it back into my regular diet. The first time I could only eat a tiny bit, then had to stop. Then I eventually worked my way up to a normal sized serving. However, to this day, I can only eat it maybe once every 6 months.

It's bizarre how your brain can suddenly put you off of certain foods, especially if you get sick not long after you've eaten it or while you're eating it. For example, my son's Aunt gorged herself once on shrimp (she used to love it) and ate so much that she made herself sick. To this day she won't go anywhere near it.

So yeah, I guess I have to add asparagus to my "kind of like, but not really all that much" list.

Same exact experience with Mexican fried peppers ( basically breaded peppers ( kinda like when making eggplant Parmesan). then using salsa as the sauce and cheese melted on top ( I used Montery Jack Cheese). Anyway, I was sick with Meningitis for a few weeks, 105 + temp for 2 weeks, lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks , among other symptoms including loss of taste, which was a real treat. When I finally got my taste back and desire to eat again, I broke my sick induced fast which these Mexican fried peppers ( not the smartest thing to do coming off of 2 weeks of jello), and I immediately threw it all up, and hadn't eaten it since ( about 30 years ago). Even the thought of it makes my stomach turn.

I haven't eaten jello since then either .

Same exact experience with Mexican fried peppers ( basically breaded peppers ( kinda like when making eggplant Parmesan). then using salsa as the sauce and cheese melted on top ( I used Montery Jack Cheese). Anyway, I was sick with Meningitis for a few weeks, 105 + temp for 2 weeks, lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks , among other symptoms including loss of taste, which was a real treat. When I finally got my taste back and desire to eat again, I broke my sick induced fast which these Mexican fried peppers ( not the smartest thing to do coming off of 2 weeks of jello), and I immediately threw it all up, and hadn't eaten it since ( about 30 years ago). Even the thought of it makes my stomach turn.

I haven't eaten jello since then either .

I can see why you wouldn't touch the Jello again :LOL:

I won't talk too much about the above foodstuff that made you sick, but it's definitely not something I've ever heard of before. I can see why something like that wouldn't agree with you.

Quick! Think ice cream!

A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello? I think I've seen that, had that. Not sure. My my, what would we do without cattle hoove's keratin being turned into Jello? Anyone make Jello anymore? I remember you had to bring it to a boil, then cool it down in the fridge. Jello originated from animal fingernails.

Last edited:
A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello?

I digress.

Yes. I remember seeing all that weird stuff in one of my mom's cookbooks when I was a kid.

A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello? I think I've seen that, had that. Not sure. My my, what would we do without cattle hooves turned into Jello?
You reminded me of one reason I was skeptical of my cooking class in junior high school. It was some dish with green jello, shredded carrots, and cottage cheese. I think there were sliced olives too. It was called "under the sea salad". It was at least as bad as it sounds.

You reminded me of one reason I was skeptical of my cooking class in junior high school. It was some dish with green jello, shredded carrots, and cottage cheese. I think there were sliced olives too. It was called "under the sea salad". It was at least as bad as it sounds.

LOL...I could not stand that stuff...:sick:

Ross

Who has ever eaten Tomato Aspic? My mother used to make it when I was a kid and I thought it was gross.

She made it in a fancy mold with unflavored gelatin, and her "secret " Snappy Tom instead of tomato juice. I think it was suppose to be an ode to a Bloody Mary without the booze. :rolleyes: Sorry Mom.:wacko:

To All Moms that gave us kids some horror stories to tell of food you served us.

We know it was the craze of the times, and you just wanted to serve us healthy food and not be wasteful. But no matter what, we never stopped loving you. Just the fact that we are still here today, and not in a hospital bed, speaks volumes of your love for your family and concern for their wellbeing.

Thank you Moms, wherever you are.

That's actually pretty common. People often associate bad illness experiences with what they, well, hurled (Wayne's World mod). I had food poisoning once (from a breakfast buffet in Las Vegas). Those sausage links looked a little pink, but I ate them, anyway (we need a facepalm emoji). It took me several years before I could eat breakfast sausage links. To this day, I order sausage patties -- well done!

CD

Back
Top Bottom