Yuk To Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's actually pretty common. People often associate bad illness experiences with what they, well, hurled (Wayne's World mod). I had food poisoning once (from a breakfast buffet in Las Vegas). Those sausage links looked a little pink, but I ate them, anyway (we need a facepalm emoji). It took me several years before I could eat breakfast sausage links. To this day, I order sausage patties -- well done!

CD

I know what you mean. And food poisoning is horrible. I had it once, that I remember. Got it from Burger King many years ago.

A vintage Jello ad campaign way back would have everyone putting their leftover vegetables into Jello. That's going a bit far, Jello corp. Actually, isn't there a Jello recipe where you put carrot strings into green Jello? I think I've seen that, had that. Not sure. My my, what would we do without cattle hoove's keratin being turned into Jello? Anyone make Jello anymore? I remember you had to bring it to a boil, then cool it down in the fridge. Jello originated from animal fingernails.

My mom used to make orange jello with carrot strings in it. She put carrots in everything -- probably why I don't like them. :LOL:

A few years ago, she gave me her old copper-colored Jello molds. :chef:

And, I do remember her putting other vegetables in Jello. Celery comes to mind. :ermm:

CD

What a blast from the past! My dear mama used to make those jellied salad dishes in the copper molds, too. Afterwards, she'd wash the molds and return them to their place on the kitchen wall. :)

Last edited:
What a blast from the past! My dear mama used to make those jellied salad dishes in the copper molds, too. Afterwards, she'd wash the molds and return them to their place on the kitchen wall. :)

I purchased four of those copper molds at a yard sale. Hung them on the kitchen wall. Shapes of cards. Ace, Spade, etc. Then friends would see one at other yard sales and buy it for me. Up on the wall they would go.

Lesson learned. DON'T HANG THINGS ON YOUR KITCHEN WALL. Not unless you like climbing up and taking them down for cleaning at least once a month.

I only have one mold like that - a brain mold, that Jello gave away at Halloween years ago, for "free" - only $2.50 shipping. I got $4 worth of coupons, but never used them - gave them to somebody I knew would.

Here was this year's brain I had out on the steps. It was a little too clear - Usually I make it with something to make it opaque, but didn't have anything on hand at the time. I made it with agar, as that will stay firm at warmer temps (and it was warm this year!).
IMG_20181031_193641676 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That looks like something my daughter and son-in-law would love to have at their yearly Halloween parties. :LOL:

That's actually pretty common. People often associate bad illness experiences with what they, well, hurled (Wayne's World mod). I had food poisoning once (from a breakfast buffet in Las Vegas). Those sausage links looked a little pink, but I ate them, anyway (we need a facepalm emoji). It took me several years before I could eat breakfast sausage links. To this day, I order sausage patties -- well done!

CD

Mine was tequila.. Nevermind.. :wacko::LOL:

Ross

We like making them with bacon/pancetta/guanciale and balsamic vinegar.

I only have one mold like that - a brain mold, that Jello gave away at Halloween years ago, for "free" - only $2.50 shipping. I got $4 worth of coupons, but never used them - gave them to somebody I knew would.

Here was this year's brain I had out on the steps. It was a little too clear - Usually I make it with something to make it opaque, but didn't have anything on hand at the time. I made it with agar, as that will stay firm at warmer temps (and it was warm this year!).
IMG_20181031_193641676 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That is brilliant.

I love Halloween and all the treats my son's Aunt makes for their get-together (before the kids go out). She makes witches fingers (that are 'bleeding'), spider web cookies, all sorts of cool things. The kids love it.

The funniest thing that happened related to that brain at Halloween was when a neighbor lady of Mexican descent came by with some her kids and some others, and while the kids were freekin' out about it she tells them "You know that's no real brain!", and I said something like "Oh, I see you've cooked with them,too," and we started talking about some of the things we've done with them, and the kids went running away screaming "Ooooooooo!" She has probably fed them cerebros de cerdo a number of times, and they didn't know it!

Last edited:
The funniest thing that happened related to that brain at Halloween was when a neighbor lady of Mexican descent came by with some her kids and some others, and while the kids were freekin' out about it she tells them "You know that's no real brain!", and I said something like "Oh, I see you've cooked with them,too," and we started talking about some of the things we've done with them, and the kids went running away screaming "Ooooooooo!" She has probably fed them cerebros de cerdo a number of times, and they didn't know it!

Oh dear :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom