Zucchini and Velveeta Cheese with Grapenuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I was reading a discussion about Velveeta Cheese and found someone discussing a recipe combining zucchini with Velveeta. Does anyone have such a recipe? Or can someone tell me the ratio of zucchini to Velveeta that I should use, based on her description? Also, do you think the zucchini should be peeled or unpeeled?

I decided to make zucchini cubes baked with Velveeta and Grapenuts. It's been so long since I was served this that I really can't remember the specifics, and was unable to find a recipe. It's in the oven now - used my judgment and tossed zucchini with a little Wondra flour, cubed Velveeta, and green garlic (original may have had scallion/onion, or neither), plus black pepper, topped with Grapenuts mixed with melted butter. The Velveeta looked paler in color than I recall, and with even less taste. I'd toyed with adding cheddar cheese powder, then forgot (I can always stir it into the serving dish if it really needs it).

I was reading a discussion about Velveeta Cheese and found someone discussing a recipe combining zucchini with Velveeta. Does anyone have such a recipe? Or can someone tell me the ratio of zucchini to Velveeta that I should use, based on her description? Also, do you think the zucchini should be peeled or unpeeled?

My mother used to make a dish called "Zia Casserole" that came from (I think) a church cookbook. It called for zucchini, onions, bread cubes, Velveeta, and Carnation Evaporated Milk. It sounds weird, but I loved it as a kid. If you're interested, I have the recipe at home and could post it tonight.

Since I can't tell when you guys are kidding around or serious, Grape Nuts is cereal, that you sprinkle on top like you would bread crumbs.

I was kidding. I'm probably older than most on this forum. I remember when TV first came out!

Me too. I remember that the first family to get a TV on our street was 2 houses down from us. After school a bunch of us kids got together to watch the after school children's shows at the Hansen's house. That was in about 1952 or '53.

I think it was a couple years later that we got our first TV.

I decided to make zucchini cubes baked with Velveeta and Grapenuts. It's been so long since I was served this that I really can't remember the specifics, and was unable to find a recipe. It's in the oven now - used my judgment and tossed zucchini with a little Wondra flour, cubed Velveeta, and green garlic (original may have had scallion/onion, or neither), plus black pepper, topped with Grapenuts mixed with melted butter. The Velveeta looked paler in color than I recall, and with even less taste. I'd toyed with adding cheddar cheese powder, then forgot (I can always stir it into the serving dish if it really needs it).

Shudders and begins.....

My mom used to make a zucchini casserole when I was a kid that fits this description. She made a lot of questionable zucchini dishes when the evil monsters were exponentially multiplying in the garden. This one is basically softened zucchini seared and layered with melted Velveeta and covered with buttered grapenut crumb top. It was baked until she could fish us kids out from our hiding paces under the beds to sit up at the dinner table. She baked this in a shallow baking dish - old rectangular Pyrex. Zucchini was never peeled at my house as it would "let all the vitamins out"

I dug out her old recipe card and it's missing some details but you could probably figure it out. I also distinctly remember the crumbs being layered in the middle as well because they sopped up some of the zucchini juice.

Cubed zucchini
12 oz Velveeta, cubed
3 T butter
1/2 C grape nuts
3 T butter

425 degrees for 30 minutes

1. Melt 3 T butter and stir in cereal - set aside
  2. Melt Cheese and 3 T butter together - set aside
  3. Soften a generous amount of zucchini in skillet and season. Place 1/2 in baking dish and cover with 1/2 cheese sauce. Add other half of zucchini and again cover with cheese sauce.
  4. Top with crumbs and bake.

yum?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom