Zucchini coming out our ears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Help me get rid of this zucchini. We have a ton of it from an organic co-op. We have some Turkish recipes that we love, we've made bread, we've shredded and frozen some, we've put it in a steamed veggie side dish. What now? Anyone have some good recipes? TIA

I like to slice some and then dip the rounds in an egg dip (flavored with salt and pepper) then dip again in garlic flavored bread crumbs with salt, pepper, onion powder, more garlic, oregano and parsley. Fry until nicely brown on both sides in good olive oil.

Here's how my mother in law makes it some times.

Greek Zucchini!!

zucchini
olive oil
green peppers
sliced black olives
onions
pasley, ground cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, dash sugar, garlic (amount up to you)
canned tomatoes or sauce and 1/3 cup water

Directions:
Saute onions, parsley,garlic in olive oil
add zucchini and green peppers,olives, and ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar
stir for a few minutes and then add tomatoes and water if needed

cover and cook over low heat until soft.

I have been slicing them. Make large pieces because they are going on the grill and you don't want them to fall through the grates. In a zip lock bag I put the zucchini along with olive oil, sesame oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sliced garlic. Marinate on the counter, turning the bag occasionally. You can let it sit anywhere from a half hour to overnight. Grill until done to your liking. We have been doing this a ton lately and DW said she could just eat this for dinner alone with nothing else it is so good.

We shish kebab ours. It makes a wonderful side dish.

I also grate a bunch and add it to soups, stews and bake with it.

i like to cut zucchini longwise and marinate it in lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. then i put it on the george forman... yum! zucchini loves thyme.

I'd certaily whip up some zucchini bread and muffins! I like to hollow bigger ones out (much like you would with an eggplant) and stuff them with any number of stuffings (optionally includig the zucchini flesh you just scoped out). And then bake them (or wrap them in foil and bbq them).

Nice stuffing ideas can be rice and tomatoes (sort of like Spanish rice), bell peppers, black olives and good quality canned tuna, or a four cheese sort of sauce with herbs.

You might like this recipe..It's a nice dish to take to a BBQ and it is a nice change from tossed salad :LOL:

Sweet and Sour Squash
4-small zucchini
4-small yellow squash, all zukes could be used
1/2-c. thin sliced celery
1-finely chopped red onion
1-red bell pepper thin strips or diced
1-c. sherry vinegar
1/2c. sugar
1/3c. evoo
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slice the squash paper thin into a large shallow bowl. Add celery, red pepper,red onion.
Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan, bring to boil to dissolve sugar. Pour over veggies while still hot. Cover and marinate at room temp or chill overnight...Drain and serve...
I like this very cold, kids like it room temp...You decide how you prefer it.
ENJOY
kadesma:)

Ohh, you guys are awesome!! Thanks for the recipes. We are definitely going to try these. I'm particularly interested in the zucchini cookies. How novel! I'll let you know how things turn out.

I used grate the stuff, measure out the 3 cups I needed for my Zucchini Cake or the 2 cups I needed for my Zucchini bread, and freeze in ziplock bags.
It also makes great bread & butter pickles and sweet relish.

We could eat our weight in fried zucchini...

I slice it thinly, lay out on waxed paper covered cookie sheet, and season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic/herb seasoning. Let it set until it starts to ooz juices.
Season flour with S&P and garlic herb seasoning, and put in one container. In another container, beat a couple of eggs with a little water to make a thin egg wash.
Heat 1" canola oil in skillet till a drop of water bounces in the skillet. Dip slices in flour, then egg, then flour. Shake off excess, and put in skillet. When one side is brown, turn and brown other. Drain on paper towels, then switch to fresh towels while you cook the rest.
These should be crisp and golden, but not fried hard.

Constance said:
I used grate the stuff, measure out the 3 cups I needed for my Zucchini Cake or the 2 cups I needed for my Zucchini bread, and freeze in ziplock bags.
It also makes great bread & butter pickles and sweet relish.

We could eat our weight in fried zucchini...

I slice it thinly, lay out on waxed paper covered cookie sheet, and season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic/herb seasoning. Let it set until it starts to ooz juices.
Season flour with S&P and garlic herb seasoning, and put in one container. In another container, beat a couple of eggs with a little water to make a thin egg wash.
Heat 1" canola oil in skillet till a drop of water bounces in the skillet. Dip slices in flour, then egg, then flour. Shake off excess, and put in skillet. When one side is brown, turn and brown other. Drain on paper towels, then switch to fresh towels while you cook the rest.
These should be crisp and golden, but not fried hard.

:chef: I'm going to try it your way next time.

i have put zucchini in marinara sauce and put that over angelhair and it was good!

it's also good with stewed tomatoes with onion and i can't remember if it was green chiles or bell peppers in it, but either one would be nice.

and fried zucchini w/ marinara dipping sauce is tasty.

but my favorite way of all is one of the simplest ways to cook it, steamed and then just butter, some salt and pepper on it.

crewsk, i've baked a lot of zucchini bread but have never seen a recipe for zucchini cookies. i plan to try it out this weekend it sounds good.:)

Zucchini Stuffing

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it looks like it would be really good.

ZUCCHINI STUFFING CASSEROLE

3/4 cup Shredded carrots
1/2 cup Onion, chopped
6 tbl Butter
2 1/2 cup Herbed stuffing cubes
1 can Condensed cream of chicken Soup
1/2 cup Sour cream
4 med Zucchini, cut 2 inch thick

Cook zucchini in a little boiling water until tender. Drain. Saute carrots and onions in 4 Tbsp butter until tender. Remove from heat, stir in 1-1/2 cup stuffing cubes, soup, and sour cream. Gently stir in zucchini. Turn into a casserole dish. Melt remaining butter and combine with remaining stuffing cubes. Toss lightly and spoon onto top of casserole.
Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 6-8.

Here are a couple I posted earlier this summer:

Zucchini Patties:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12228

Zucchilattas:
Zucchilattas

2 Tbsp butter
1 ½ lb sliced zucchini
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 ½ lb tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ lb Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
10 (10”) flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13” baking dish.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix together the zucchini, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and add to the skillet. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft.

Warm the tortillas 2-3 minutes, until soft, in the preheated oven. Fill the warmed tortillas with zucchini mixture and Monterey Jack cheese, reserving some of both for toppings. Roll the filled tortillas and place them seam side down in the baking dish. Cover with the remaining zucchini mixture. Top with remaining cheese.

Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

Last edited:
I think I may have posted this before, but it's so good I"ll redo!

ZUCCHINI W/ MINT AND VINEGAR

4 servings

4-6 small zucchini
3T chopped mint or basil
6T olive oil
2T chopped parsley
2 large garlic cloves
salt/pepper
4T redwine vinegar

Cut zucchini into ¼ inch slices; sprinkle with salt and let stand in a colander 30 minutes; rinse well and pat dry. Combine mint or basil, parsley and garlic.

Warm the olive oil in frying pan over med high; add zucchini in batches and saute til golden on both sides. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with mint mixture and vinegar. Leave at room temp 1-2 hours, basting occasionally with vinegar in the dish.

I had this problem once too. Made bread, and everything you can think of...then at the end of the season I just threw it into my compost bin, hey its good for the soil for next years garden!

Cut zucchini like pickle spears - marinate a few hours in olive oil, cumin, lime juice (be careful here as too much will ruin it), salt, pepper, fresh garlic - then grill.

I've got a pressure cooker minestrone soup floating around here somwhere that uses quite a bit of zucchini.

Saute in white wine, salt and pepper.

A friend of mine sliced them in rings and made zucchini pickles - they were fantabulous!

How about:
Zucchini Pizza (with Mozzarella, tomatoes, garlic - whatever you like)
Fried Zucchini sticks with a marinara dipping sauce
Maybe use a tempura/bisquick/fritter-like batter & serve with other veggies
Add to pasta dishes w garlic, butter & Parmesan
Zucchini pie - layer w mozzarella, tomatoes, etc in a pie crust
Zucchini Dogs - Roast a whole small zucchini in 350 oven until tender & serve on hot dog buns w mustard, relish, ketchup, chopped onions.

It's been a while since I've made zucchini pancakes, & don't recall which recipe I used. They are delishwith sour cream. You could go with a potato pancake recipe you like - add carrots and or grated potatoes, chives. Try to squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Here are a few ideas.

Zucchini Pancakes
3 cups zucchini, coarsely grated
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
1 large egg, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
sprig mint, for garnish
Combine zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper. Add egg and stir lightly. Stir in flour. Heat oil in deep, heavy skillet. For each pancake, drop 1 heaping spoon of zucchini mixture into pan.

Flatten slightly with back of spoon and fry over medium heat about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Turn very carefully and drain on paper towels. Stir mixture before frying each batch. If all the oil is absorbed, add a little more. Serve garnished with mint sprigs.
------------
Zucchini Cream Cheese Pancakes
5 medium zucchini, shredded very finely
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 ounces cream cheese

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Heat skillet on medium heat and coat with vegetable cooking spray. Drop batter on skillet, brown on both sides. They can be buttered and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese or can be served plain.
-----------
This one really rocked my Zucchini boat, & can't wait to try:

Zucchini Spaghetti
1 med sized zucchini
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt to taste
freshly cracked black pepper
fresh basil or arugula chiffonade
mandoline to cut the zucchini
1 red tomato (optional)

Use the mandoline and cut the zucchini into spaghetti-like strips. They can be made ahead at this point, covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.

Toss the zucchini spaghetti with the fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, and serve a very small amount on each plate, swirling it with a long tined fork and mounding it as high as possible for height. Top each mound with a garnish of a few strips of chiffonade of fresh basil or arugula.

For added color, cut a tomato into quarters; remove as much of the pulp next to the outer skin without cutting into it. Cut into diamond shapes and place them along side the zucchini spaghetti and serve.

Think I have a recipe for Chocolate Zucchini cake. I'll poke around my collection, if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom