"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 08-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Zucchini coming out our ears

Help me get rid of this zucchini. We have a ton of it from an organic co-op. We have some Turkish recipes that we love, we've made bread, we've shredded and frozen some, we've put it in a steamed veggie side dish. What now? Anyone have some good recipes? TIA

Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I like to slice some and then dip the rounds in an egg dip (flavored with salt and pepper) then dip again in garlic flavored bread crumbs with salt, pepper, onion powder, more garlic, oregano and parsley. Fry until nicely brown on both sides in good olive oil.

Here's how my mother in law makes it some times.

Greek Zucchini!!

zucchini
olive oil
green peppers
sliced black olives
onions
pasley, ground cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, dash sugar, garlic (amount up to you)
canned tomatoes or sauce and 1/3 cup water

Directions:
Saute onions, parsley,garlic in olive oil
add zucchini and green peppers,olives, and ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar
stir for a few minutes and then add tomatoes and water if needed

cover and cook over low heat until soft.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have been slicing them. Make large pieces because they are going on the grill and you don't want them to fall through the grates. In a zip lock bag I put the zucchini along with olive oil, sesame oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sliced garlic. Marinate on the counter, turning the bag occasionally. You can let it sit anywhere from a half hour to overnight. Grill until done to your liking. We have been doing this a ton lately and DW said she could just eat this for dinner alone with nothing else it is so good.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Everymom

We shish kebab ours. It makes a wonderful side dish.

I also grate a bunch and add it to soups, stews and bake with it.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
GB that sounds so goooood!
Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Senior Cook

i like to cut zucchini longwise and marinate it in lemon juice, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper. then i put it on the george forman... yum! zucchini loves thyme.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I'd certaily whip up some zucchini bread and muffins! I like to hollow bigger ones out (much like you would with an eggplant) and stuff them with any number of stuffings (optionally includig the zucchini flesh you just scoped out). And then bake them (or wrap them in foil and bbq them).

Nice stuffing ideas can be rice and tomatoes (sort of like Spanish rice), bell peppers, black olives and good quality canned tuna, or a four cheese sort of sauce with herbs.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Velochic, here's one for zucchini cooks I posted a while back. In the original post I had not made them yet but I did make them this weekend & they were fantastic! I used a tablespoom measuring spoon to drop the dough. I didn't think to count how many it made though, sorry!Soft Zucchini Cookies
Old 08-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

You might like this recipe..It's a nice dish to take to a BBQ and it is a nice change from tossed salad

Sweet and Sour Squash
4-small zucchini
4-small yellow squash, all zukes could be used
1/2-c. thin sliced celery
1-finely chopped red onion
1-red bell pepper thin strips or diced
1-c. sherry vinegar
1/2c. sugar
1/3c. evoo
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slice the squash paper thin into a large shallow bowl. Add celery, red pepper,red onion.
Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan, bring to boil to dissolve sugar. Pour over veggies while still hot. Cover and marinate at room temp or chill overnight...Drain and serve...
I like this very cold, kids like it room temp...You decide how you prefer it.
ENJOY
kadesma
Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Ohh, you guys are awesome!! Thanks for the recipes. We are definitely going to try these. I'm particularly interested in the zucchini cookies. How novel! I'll let you know how things turn out.

Tags
None