"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 07-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #31
Sous Chef
One of my favourites is a Zucchini and Almond Tart.
I can't locate the exact recipe at the moment, but you need to bake blind a pastry shell first. Then gently toast some filleted almonds until barely brown, Set aside.
Grate about 100 gms Gruyère cheese - set aside.
Slice 3 or 4 medium zucchini on the bias - you should have slices about 1/4 inch thick. Sauté in butter, then add a few torn basil leaves and a good twist or two of black pepper.
Put the almonds on the bottom of the pastry shell. Then spread the zucchini evenly over the almonds. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and cook at 375º for about 15 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.

Then there's my favourite Emeril recipe for Marinated Bocconcini with zucchini.
For this, you need to find the tiny, weeny mozzarella balls, although you could use mozzarella cut into cubes. The same, but different...
In a large bowl, mix the mozzarella balls with finely chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a crushed clove of garlic, salt, pepper and a good dose of EVOO. Allow to marinate for an hour at least, stirring the mixture gently every now and then to improve the flavour.
Slice about 3-4 small zucchini on the mandoline, then brush with oil and grill until you have grill marks on the veg. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Dice and de-seed a large tomato.
To assemble the salad, mix all the ingredients together gently, and serve on a bed of mixed micro-greens or a chiffonade of red and green radicchio.

cliveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #32
Assistant Cook
For dinner tonight made zucchini with spaghetti. Mom is staying with me and this is one of her favorite dishes. She loves to cook this when her granddaughter comes for dinner.

Slice the zucchini and saute with some garlic and oil. I like to add a sliced tomato for flavor and color. I save some of the water from the spaghetti to add to the zucchini cooking.
Sprinkling some fresh grated cheese is a must over the spaghetti.

Sueanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:35 AM   #33
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Panfry zucchini slices with salt and fresh ground pepper in a mix of oil and butter until reasonably browned. Add a little balsamic vinegar, allow to reduce a bit then throw in chopped mint...as much as you think you would like. I use about 1/2 cup for 6 lge zucchini.
This is great ( and best) at room temp, and especially with BBQ'd foods.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #34
Send a message via AIM to beaulana2
I slice them about 1/4 inch ovals ,Put them on a broiler pan brush with a little oil , sprinkle salt and pepper, and add grated parmesan cheese or your choice of cheese, and broil for about 5 minutes.
beaulana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #35
Head Chef
Eggplant Roll-ups

Originally Posted by kats
I slice it lenghtwise (thin slices), grill both sides and make rolls with them, stuffing with a mixture of cream cheese and nuts. Then I arrange them in the place, around a little mountain of diced tomato and drizzle everything with thin pesto sauce. It's great both with zucchini and with eggplant!
I made kat's recipe with some of my Ichiban eggplants yesterday. I added almost an entire head of roasted garlic to the neufchatel cheese, and mixed in some pine nuts. Then, after spreading the mixture on the grilled eggplant slices, sprinkled more pine nuts on top, before rolling them up.

I served them at room temp with toothpicks, for appetizers, but have enough leftover for a vegetable side dish tonight. I will heat them up and pour some basil pesto over them.

These are delicious, and I REALLY like the mixture of roasted garlic and cream cheese! I will use that idea for other stuff, too.

I don't have zucchini in my garden, but someone usually gives me a giant one every summer. This is what I'll make!

Thanks, kats!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eggplant roll-ups.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1684  
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:10 AM   #36
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This is posted by Ishbel today... it looks delicious indeed, I would love to try myself when I get a chance.

urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote