Zucchini ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love zuchinni pancakes. You can add shredded potatoes/hashbrowns, if you like and serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and sour cream

Grate zucchini and peeled potatoes wring out the moisture in a towel, add scallions, parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper, flour, and eggs, mix together, and saute in oil. Grated carrots are a colorful and tasty add in too.

Zucchini white pizza. Add on whatever you like - roasted red peppers, or sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, parmesan, garlic, black olives.

Zucchini spaghetti - cut the zukes in spaghetti-like strands with a mandolin, toss with lemon juice, s&p - as a side.

Saute round slices of zukes in evoo & butter, sprinkle with nutmeg, s&p, and mix with toasted walnuts - as a side.

Tomato (Mozzarella/Parmesan) Pie in Zucchini Crust. YUM. YUM.
http://www.applesforhealth.com/HealthyEntrees/tompzucc3.html

Zucchini croistini - I have a recipe in my files. Will take another look and post.

Last edited:
kats said:
I slice it lenghtwise (thin slices), grill both sides and make rolls with them, stuffing with a mixture of cream cheese and nuts. Then I arrange them in the place, around a little mountain of diced tomato and drizzle everything with thin pesto sauce. It's great both with zucchini and with eggplant!

This sounds good, kats! Do you spread the cream cheese and nuts on the grilled slices, then roll, jellyroll style?

I have a ton of basil, too, so the pesto sauce idea appeals to me, as well.

Lee

We love zucchini, sauteed with onion,garlic in evoo then at the end we give the whole thing a heavy sprinkle of parmesan cheese. They are also great cooked the same way with the cheese and onions,garlic, then add 4-5 beaten eggs and just mix a scrambled egg and zucchini plate, we sprinkle this with some toasted and buttered bread crumbs...My family also loves them stufffed,but, that is a JOB so we don't have them very often...Usually birthdays or holidays.

kadesma:)

I like to cut the zucchini into French fry size sticks and dip them in a beaten egg and then dredge them in flour seasoned with Italian Seasoning and garlic powder. Then I cook them in oil in a frying pan.

Another favorite is thickly sliced and sauteed in olive oil and then sprinkle with Italian seasoning and celery salt.

120g flour
1 egg
1 eggyolk
3 T cream
4 T white wine
30g grated cheese

mix together, add

250 g grated zucchini
1 garlic glove and
pepper

bake in a pan and spread with sesame

serve with paprika cream
mix 200 g sour cream with cubed bell pepper, tomatoes and cucumber, season with herbs, salt, garlic and pepper

Zucchinibread

800g dark wheat flour
500g mashed zcchini
40g yeast
2 T honey
2 t salt
2 T butter

cook the zucchini with some water to a mush (?), cool down
Mix the other ingidients in a big bowl, add zucchini when hand warm and beat well until smooth.
prepare like a normal yeast dough, form two breads and bake at 200°C/390°F for about 20min, reduce the heat to 150°C/300°F for another 10min

chocolate zucchini cake

1/2 cup soft margarine
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups grated zucchini
1 twelve ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips
walnuts (optional)
Cream together margarine, oil, and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Mix together dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture; beat well. Stir in zucchini. Pour into greased 9 by 12 inch pan and sprinkle the top with chocolate chips and nuts if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

This is a good recipe for frittata and uses a good amount of zucchini, especially if you're being taken over by them!

ZUCCHINI FRITTATA
3-4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped basil
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
2-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or your
choice
1/2 cup baking mix (Bisquick or Trader Joe's)
4 eggs,lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9"X13"X2" glass baking pan. Put sliced zucchini into a large bowl and add remaining ingredients one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with about 1/4 cup more cheese. Bake for 25 minutes until firm and lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool. You may chill and then cut the frittata into small squares for appetizers or serve larger pieces warm as a side dish. This frittata freezes very well and can be warmed in the microwave. (I make lots and freeze it to use as appetizers during holidays!)

Very simple side dish... slice in half the long way, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt or lemon pepper or Emeril's Essence or just plain salt and pepper, grill for about 5-10 minutes on each side (time depends on how done you like it). I often have this with grilled pork chops, steak, or most anything else I cook on the grill. :chef:

QSis said:
This sounds good, kats! Do you spread the cream cheese and nuts on the grilled slices, then roll, jellyroll style?

I have a ton of basil, too, so the pesto sauce idea appeals to me, as well.

Lee

Yes, it's sort of like that. But don't put too much cream cheese, or it will kill the eggplant or zucchini taste! Let me know if you tried and if you liked it. It's one of my favorite appetizers ever! :)

If you want to see how it looks like, I found a picture I posted on my fotolog a long time ago. It's with eggplant, instead of zucchini, but it works with any: http://www.fotolog.com/kats/?pid=2844554

Last edited:
One of my favourites is a Zucchini and Almond Tart.
I can't locate the exact recipe at the moment, but you need to bake blind a pastry shell first. Then gently toast some filleted almonds until barely brown, Set aside.
Grate about 100 gms Gruyère cheese - set aside.
Slice 3 or 4 medium zucchini on the bias - you should have slices about 1/4 inch thick. Sauté in butter, then add a few torn basil leaves and a good twist or two of black pepper.
Put the almonds on the bottom of the pastry shell. Then spread the zucchini evenly over the almonds. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and cook at 375º for about 15 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.

Then there's my favourite Emeril recipe for Marinated Bocconcini with zucchini.
For this, you need to find the tiny, weeny mozzarella balls, although you could use mozzarella cut into cubes. The same, but different...
In a large bowl, mix the mozzarella balls with finely chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a crushed clove of garlic, salt, pepper and a good dose of EVOO. Allow to marinate for an hour at least, stirring the mixture gently every now and then to improve the flavour.
Slice about 3-4 small zucchini on the mandoline, then brush with oil and grill until you have grill marks on the veg. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Dice and de-seed a large tomato.
To assemble the salad, mix all the ingredients together gently, and serve on a bed of mixed micro-greens or a chiffonade of red and green radicchio.

For dinner tonight made zucchini with spaghetti. Mom is staying with me and this is one of her favorite dishes. She loves to cook this when her granddaughter comes for dinner.

Slice the zucchini and saute with some garlic and oil. I like to add a sliced tomato for flavor and color. I save some of the water from the spaghetti to add to the zucchini cooking.
Sprinkling some fresh grated cheese is a must over the spaghetti.
________
Sueanne

Panfry zucchini slices with salt and fresh ground pepper in a mix of oil and butter until reasonably browned. Add a little balsamic vinegar, allow to reduce a bit then throw in chopped mint...as much as you think you would like. I use about 1/2 cup for 6 lge zucchini.
This is great ( and best) at room temp, and especially with BBQ'd foods. :)

I slice them about 1/4 inch ovals ,Put them on a broiler pan brush with a little oil , sprinkle salt and pepper, and add grated parmesan cheese or your choice of cheese, and broil for about 5 minutes.

Eggplant Roll-ups

kats said:
I slice it lenghtwise (thin slices), grill both sides and make rolls with them, stuffing with a mixture of cream cheese and nuts. Then I arrange them in the place, around a little mountain of diced tomato and drizzle everything with thin pesto sauce. It's great both with zucchini and with eggplant!

I made kat's recipe with some of my Ichiban eggplants yesterday. I added almost an entire head of roasted garlic to the neufchatel cheese, and mixed in some pine nuts. Then, after spreading the mixture on the grilled eggplant slices, sprinkled more pine nuts on top, before rolling them up.

I served them at room temp with toothpicks, for appetizers, but have enough leftover for a vegetable side dish tonight. I will heat them up and pour some basil pesto over them.

These are delicious, and I REALLY like the mixture of roasted garlic and cream cheese! I will use that idea for other stuff, too.

I don't have zucchini in my garden, but someone usually gives me a giant one every summer. This is what I'll make!

Thanks, kats!

Lee

Attachments

• Eggplant roll-ups.JPG
    Eggplant roll-ups.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 268
This is posted by Ishbel today... it looks delicious indeed, I would love to try myself when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom