Zucchinis (courgettes)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I saw the aubergines thread and thought it would be a good idea to make a zucchini thread :-p

What to do with zucchini (courgette), any nice simple recipes? I want to make zucchini fritters, are they really as tasty as they look on the web??

I found a Turkish recipe for zucchini patties, which sounds nice. I'm actually Turkish but have never eaten this :cool:

2 lbs. zucchini squash (about 5 cups)grated
2 medium onions, grated
1/2 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
4 eggs
1 cup flour
2 Tbls. dill weed
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil

Grate the zucchini into a colander, sprinkle with salt, mix and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
Squeeze excess moisture from zucchini and place in a LARGE bowl. Add the grated onion, feta cheese, dill weed, black pepper, flour, and 4 eggs. Mix well until mixture becomes a thick batter. heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. When hot, drop tablespoons of the mixture into the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve at room temperature with yogurt and garlic sauce.

I would think it would be more of a question of what you cannot do with Zucchini's, they are that versatile. They are very close to cucumbers and I make zucchini pickles, zucchini relish, zucchini bread, deep fried zucchini, baked zucchini, grilled zucchini, zucchini souffles, zucchini crispies, zucchini omelet, zucchini jam, zucchini muffins, zucchini pizza, zucchini soup, and perhaps thousands of other recipes where zucchini is not a main ingredient.

Cut in half length-wise, brush with oilive oil and sprinkle with a seasoning mix/seasoned salt and grill.

I would think it would be more of a question of what you cannot do with Zucchini's, they are that versatile. They are very close to cucumbers and I make zucchini pickles, zucchini relish, zucchini bread, deep fried zucchini, baked zucchini, grilled zucchini, zucchini souffles, zucchini crispies, zucchini omelet, zucchini jam, zucchini muffins, zucchini pizza, zucchini soup, and perhaps thousands of other recipes where zucchini is not a main ingredient.

Howdy! I would love to have yoru zucchini relish and bread recipes! I have a plant in my garden which is giving me about 4 zucchini each day. I am sharing them with the neighbours etc, but have more than I can use. I was here looking for a freezing zucchini thread. I freeze lots of veges in single serve ziploc bags, but am guessing that the zucchini will turn to mush once it thaws, and cook more quickly than the other veges (broccoli, carrots, beans etc). Suggestions welcome!

I shred zucchini in my food processor and freeze in 2 cup portions for my zucchini bread. When defrosted I just squeeze out some of the moisture and add to the recipe. I've still got about 4 packages in my freezer now from this past summer.
I don't recommend freezing a whole zucchini because it would turn to mush. lol

Barb

Your recipe for zucchini fritters sounds delicious, Argamemnon and I'd like to give it a try. Zucchini is a very popular vegetable here, and is called "calabacitas". Here is a recipe I often serve along with tamales, enchiladas, chicken....whatever. Everyone seems to like it.

Corn and Zucchini con Crema

Ingredients
1 tablespoon corn oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
4 small zucchini, diced
1 14-oz can sweet corn, drained
2 ripe Roma tomatoes, chopped
1-2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced*
1-2 chopped jalapeno or Serrano chiles (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ cup crema (you can use heavy whipping cream or sour cream)
Crumbled or shredded cheese for garnish (I use cotija - you could use feta or any cheese you like)

Heat oil in skillet and cook onions until tender.
Add garlic, zucchini, corn, chiles and tomato; cook until crisp-tender. Remove from heat, cover, and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes or so until flavors are mixed.

Just before serving, add cream and heat to serving temp, but don’t boil. Crumble about ½ cup cheese on top for a garnish.

*You could also use a can of diced green chiles

My favorite way it to grate them, barely sautè in a little olive oil, toss with lemon juice, lemon zest, salt/pepper, pine nuts, and top with Parmesan cheese and a handful of freshly torn basil. I could make a :pig: of myself!

I make this frequently, either as a side dish to Teriyaki Salmon, or as a main dish with the ingredients doubled up & sauteed shrimp added.

BREEZY SESAME ZUCCHINI CARROT RAMEN NOODLES

1 small/medium zucchini
1 medium carrot
1 package Ramen noodle soup mix
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Aprox. 1 teaspoon (about 1”) peeled & grated fresh ginger
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Soy sauce to taste
Vegetable oil
Hot sesame oil (or regular, if desired)

Wash & trim zucchini; trim & peel carrot. Grate, shred, or julienne slice both.

Discard soup/seasoning packet from Ramen noodles (or save for another use). Cook noodles according to package directions & drain.

In a medium/large skillet, heat a thin coating of vegetable oil & sauté squash & carrot until just barely tender. Add ginger & garlic & stir a few times. Add drained noodles & combine gently. Add crushed red pepper flakes & soy sauce to taste & gently combine again. Serve with a drizzle of hot (or regular) sesame oil on top.

Back
Top Bottom