"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 10-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

A Question for salsa/guacomole users!

I am developing a product that will absolutely become addictive after the fisrt taste. Too bad Lays has already coined the phrase,"betcha can't just eat one!"

So here's my problem: Most people that are able cooks or frequent the kitchen to make their own meals have used a dry package of salsa mix or a similar package of guac mix. I would venture to guess that at least 90% of them have ate it because most everyone are rasied to not waste food, but didn't exactly enjoy the product.

How do I convince a consumer to venture down that isle again without the predetermined disappointment?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Master Chef

No exactly sure what your question is but I have never even heard of dry salsa mix. And never have or would consider using dry guac or salsa mix. And bet more than 10% are like me.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I echo Jennys response 100%.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have tried the dry guacamole mix. I've only had one that was halfway edible. I will usually try any new brands that I see. I would think that packaging would be the key. Just find a catchy phrase as you said Lays has and go with it.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I've never bought dried versions of either recipe.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

A dry salsa/guac mix is a package that contains all the spices premeasured ready to add to your product. With the salsa all you add is tomatoes. The Guacomole, just avacados and a splash of lime juice. Simple prep and no need to depleat your own spices.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
Master Chef

All the ones that I have tried are completely powder. If you are doing one that has the actuall spices in it and not a powder, that would be great. You can use that as a selling point also.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I would never want to use prepackages spices like that. I would want to use my own spices. I don't worry about depleting them. That is what they are there for. Prepackages spices are going to be of lower quality and potency. I try to find the best spices I can so those are the ones I would want to use.

For the salsa mix, I still do not understand it. My salsa has a lot more than just tomatoes in it. I have other veggies,fruits, and peppers as well. It is not just tomatoes and spices.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #9
Master Chef

There are a LOT of people that don't cook from scratch as many of you do here. I for one don't, during the week after waking at 4:30am and not getting home until 5:30pm, and the prepackaged is great. There are also lots of college kids or just younger people that don't know how to cook from scratch that would love something like this.
He's not trying to sell us anything, just asking for advise on what kind of things you look for in a product to help him with his venture.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
Master Chef

IMO prepackaged salsa mix = ICK. Why? I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. And, really, I have never even seen this in the store. I've seen guac mix but would never consider using it.

Measuring isn't hard and I buy my spices and herbs specifically to deplete them in this way -- by cooking. I don't want to have to use someone else's herb/spice combinations, quality, measurements and added chemical ingredients.

Salsa and guac are sinfully easy to make from scratch and if I am using fresh ingredients, like avacados, I want the end product to taste fresh, too. Not like a packet.

If I don't care so much about fresh or if I am in a hurry then one of the many very good jarred salsas are my next choice.

Tags
None