Burger sauce recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

photoworks

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know a recipe for a burger sauce that tastes like the Heinz Burger sauce, but made with natural ingredients.

245414_2.jpg

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it looks like the stuff in the pix.
And I have no definite recipe because I just stir it up while the burgers are cooking. I think this is a close estimate of my mix.

Mayo about 1/2 cup (+/-)
Ketchup, maybe 1/4 cup (I estimate about 1/2 as much as the mayo)
The same amount of relish (we like dill relish, but I've used sweet)
Garlic granules, powder would work (optional and to taste)
Onion powder (to taste)
a couple shakes of Worchestershire (more optional here)
salt and pepper to taste
Mix well.

If you click the little "nutritional info" pic on the left, it gets big enough to read the ingredients, etc.

Heinz | 57 Burger Sauce

I would use some tomato paste, yogourt, mustard, minced shallots, Worcestershire, onion and garlic powders, and fish sauce. I doubt the lack of tamarind will make a large difference. HP sauce has tamarind and claims to be to have no artificial colours, flavours, or preservatives. Heinz | HP Brown Sauce

Its basically oil and vinegar, tomato puree, mustard, shallots, salt and Worcester sauce with some whey, thickeners and color.

Experiment with the proportions that suit your taste.

Does anyone know a recipe for a burger sauce that tastes like the Heinz Burger sauce, but made with natural ingredients.

245414_2.jpg

It all depends on what you call "unnatural" ingredients. If you're going to make up a sauce out of other bottled ingredients, you're back to square one.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you call "unnatural" ingredients. If you're going to make up a sauce out of other bottled ingredients, you're back to square one.
I agree it depends. But, if the bottled ingredients don't have artificial this, that, and the other thing, then I don't think you are back to square one.

I think we had this discussion on DC once before, and it was decided that this sauce is similar to McDonald's "secret sauce".... which is essentially thousand island dressing.

1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp onion, finely minced

That's pretty natural, I think.

I think we had this discussion on DC once before, and it was decided that this sauce is similar to McDonald's "secret sauce".... which is essentially thousand island dressing.

1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar

You wouldn't call sweet pickle relish very natural if you had to get the stuff we get here. It's dayglo green. :ohmy:

1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp sugar

I bet the mayo and ketchup have some of the dreaded preservatives.

I bet the mayo and ketchup have some of the dreaded preservatives.

I agree GG. It looks like Jenny hits closer to the mark...

Its basically oil and vinegar, tomato puree, mustard, shallots, salt and Worcester sauce with some whey, thickeners and color.

Experiment with the proportions that suit your taste.

Last edited:
Well, as Kayelle said, it depends on how you define these things. There are natural preservatives, but a lot of people don't make distinctions. So, just funning a little :)

The sauce in question uses parsley as a thickener and paprika for color. I've never heard of that.

Right out of the bottle it looks to be healthier than most prepared sauces.

Well, as Kayelle said, it depends on how you define these things. There are natural preservatives, but a lot of people don't make distinctions. So, just funning a little :)
You reminded me of something. A friend of mine said that he switched to unsalted butter because he noticed that the salted butter stayed fresh longer, so it must have preservatives. Well, yeah, salt's a preservative. :LOL:

You reminded me of something. A friend of mine said that he switched to unsalted butter because he noticed that the salted butter stayed fresh longer, so it must have preservatives. Well, yeah, salt's a preservative. :LOL:

Reminds me of those "Captain Obvious" commercials :)

The sauce in question uses parsley as a thickener and paprika for color. I've never heard of that.

Right out of the bottle it looks to be healthier than most prepared sauces.

I think the xantham gum does most of the thickening.

Yes, you're right. And the corn flour too, I imagine.

But it does list parsley as a thickener, which is interesting.

Back
Top Bottom