"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 05-29-2005, 06:16 AM   #1
Head Chef

Can you freeze parsley? I have dried and crushed herbs, but never tried putting them into the freezer. Interesting.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Master Chef

Lyndalou, I freeze Italian Parsley and sweet basil every year.

Simply pick out big stems, then put leaves in food processor and chop thoroughly. Spoon into small ziplocks, flatten and press out all air, making a slab no more than 3/4" thick and freeze.
When ready to use, set bag out a few minutes to soften just a little, break off a chunk, then put package back in freezer. It tastes and smells just as fresh as when you first picked it.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Parsley freezes well. Instead of chopping it, just freeze the whole stem, and when you want some, add it while it's still frozen. If you work quickly, it sort of just crumbles up while still frozen. If you choose to chop it first, freeze it in ice-cubes, then transfer to a suitable container.

However, frozen parsley, thawed, will never be any good as a pretty garnish. It'll stay limp.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
Head Chef

Thanks. I have a ton of basil and think I'll try freezing it whole. What about thyme? Will that freeze or should I just dry it and put it into a jar in my spice cupboard?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Thyme freezes well. So does basil, although sometimes basil might turn black if you don't blanch it first. I've never had the problem - I just put the leaves into a plastic container. If yours turns black, don't worry about it - it will not affect the flavour at all.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
Master Chef

It won't turn black if you use the food processor method I mentioned above. Just try it once...I promise you'll be pleased with the results.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

I do it like constance but without the food processor. I either just freeze whole or chop with a knife. Dont use ice cubes anymore either -- just put them in a ziplock.

I dry basil, rosemary and thyme, though. IMO they taste better that way, and fresh is always available from the store if I really need in in the winter.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Master Chef

Lucky you...our small town grocery doesn't have much in the way of fresh herbs, and I love fresh basil. I do keep some pots of it in my greenhouse, but it's an annual, and usually poops out about January.
I've never had any luck drying it...would you share you method with me?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I've never had any luck drying it...would you share you method with me?

Oh, Constance. I am such a lazy freak.

I finally go out and pull up the plants right before the first real freeze. I cut off the root ball and wash the leaves. Then I hang it upside down in my downstairs bathroom! When it's totally dry (maybe 2 weeks) I pull off the leaves and ziplock them

This is how I do rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc. too.

I am sure it's probably not the right way to do it, but it works for me.

A side story .... I had just finished the process with my basil a few years back. I had ziplocked the basil and had prepared a small baggie of it for a friend. I had left the baggie on the kitchen counter. In the middle of the night I heard some loud noises on my deck. Scared, I called the police. I let them in and we went through the kitchen to the back door. They looked at the baggie of basil on the counter which -- to my horror -- looked exactly like pot!

They didnt say a word, though. Turned out the noises were exploding cans of diet coke. I had put a 12 pack outside to chill and forgotten it.

After they left I was sort of disappointed that they didnt at least smell the contents of the baggie. Made me feel like an old fogie!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
Head Chef

hahaha Jennyema That's kind of like not getting carded when you go have a drink.

Z

Tags
None