Canned gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well to you it is, but not to everyone. It is a southern thing, after all.

CD

So true CD. Up north here in New England it is just called "White Sauce". I love it with Chipped Beef. But that has been priced way over my wallet. And that is what we associate it with. Not sausage.

If somebody starts up a "red-eye" argument I'm gonna unsubscribe from the thread.

Legendary Dallas chef Dean Fearing was on a FoodTV show where he completely caught the Michelin stared host off guard when he made a red eye gravy.

"You use what?" :LOL:

I've never made red eye gravy. I have that on my ever growing to-do list.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy that in a jar. :LOL:

CD

Originally posted by caseydog
I've never made red eye gravy. I have that on my ever growing to-do list.
Rarely following any recipe, if I'm about to deglaze a pan, whether it is for a sauce, gravy, or just to make clean-up easier, the first impulse is to reach for my cup, whatever bitter brew is in it. So my stuff is often red-eye like.

Well to you it is, but not to everyone. It is a southern thing, after all.

CD

Well, I suppose if you said "sausage gravy" to someone who doesn't know what it is, they may assume it's gravy poured over sausage or something. For example, on another site I used to visit, many of the people posting there were from somewhere in the UK. We got on the subject of favorite breakfast foods one time and I, being one of the few Americans that visited the board, brought up sausage gravy and biscuits and I confused the whole lot of them :LOL:

I mean, after all, "biscuits" to them are cookies. And I had to respond appropriately - i.e. seeing things through their eyes - when they would ask me why in the world Americans would dunk "biscuits" (cookies) in gravy.

So yeah.

So true CD. Up north here in New England it is just called "White Sauce". I love it with Chipped Beef. But that has been priced way over my wallet. And that is what we associate it with. Not sausage.

Ahh yes, the good ole S.O.S. Amazing stuff. A friend of mine, for parties and other gatherings, always made a dip from cream cheese and chipped beef and she would serve it in a huge bread bowl made of Hawaiian bread. So good.

One of the reasons I used to buy the chipped beef was because it came in small jars. Just the perfect size for kids hands to hold. And they were great for their milk at meal time. They were hard for the kids to tip over. A daily happening in my house.

Now if I need any small glasses I will get them from the Dollar Store. BTW, you can buy the white sauce in a can there. I almost barfed when I read the ingredients on the back of the can. No thanks. I will pass.

There's a diner near me that serves country-fried (chicken-fried) steak with sausage gravy! The best of both worlds.

There's a diner near me that serves country-fried (chicken-fried) steak with sausage gravy! The best of both worlds.

Oh how I love diners. We have 2 favorites my son and I go to occasionally. The food is so good and so comforting, yet served at reasonable (sometimes even cheap) prices. They both have country fried steak and also an all-day breakfast menu, as most diners do, so I'm sure I could request sausage gravy for the country fried steak if I wanted it. What a great idea :yum:

My sister and I used to go to the one on the way to Georgetown. I always ordered their meatloaf with plenty of gravy over the hand mashed taters. You knew they were hand mashed by all the lumps in them.

More commonly called SOS. Pictures
One of three meals I can remember out of umpteen thousand in boarding school.

Exactly! You have to soak the chip beef in cold water to reduce the amount of salt. Toss in a white sauce and pour over a piece or two of toast. Filling, tasty and very nutritious. The chipped beef has been sliced very, very thin and dried in salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom