"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Chili peppers in fish sauce. The ones here also often have a dry pepper powder.
Yes, there's a pepper powder, too. Thanks for identifying the other one.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Green mangoes are delicious---- but not sweet. More for savory dishes than sweet ones. Here is an easy version of a salad that's very common.

Thai Green Mango Salad (Som Tum Mamuang) Recipe | SAVEUR

Here's another one:

Salad - Thai Green Mango Salad Recipe

The times I've made it I wasn't always 'picky'---- for instance didn't look for the Thai red peppers but used Jalapeno's or ???
I also left out the string beans. But it's one of those salads that can have different ingredients.

Fish sauce is one ingredient that can't be left out. If you haven't cooked with fish sauce before---- do NOT sniff it in the bottle! It might turn you off. But used in cooking it's marvelous and just can't be replaced.
I have a trusted bottle of fish sauce, love it.

How green should the mango be? I bought one tonight that is very firm, but tuning red on one side. I usually get one a week and let it sit until it gets soft but not mushy. I would eat one every day if I could get away with it.

Could you eat the green mango by itself? Bitter or sour? I know, lots of questions but, I don't want to waste a mango.

I better check my fish sauce for shrimp...since I've developed an allergy to it. But, I have several different soy sauces to work with if I can't use the fish sauce (man, that will make me sad)

Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

PF, if you can't use the fish sauce, maybe you could use anchovy paste, if you have some.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I think most fish sauce is made from anchovies. Mine are. Hopefully the label will tell you.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Anchovies are fine. Those I can do.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #26
Wine Guy

In Thai restaurants here in the Twin Cities, "Thai hot" is the phrase you must use to getting scorchingly spicy food. Simply using the word "hot" alone gets you a dish that's warm by Minnesota standards, but won't blow your head off and send you racing to the restroom with hanky in hand.

When I was in my twenties, I used to punish myself with food that was almost unbearable to eat. Back then it seemed like a competition among my friends and I to see who could endure the most pain. These days I still like spicy food, but I've toned it down to the point where I can actually taste (and enjoy) what I'm eating.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
Master Chef

I like very spicy food but recently it has not liked me back....
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Could you eat the green mango by itself? Bitter or sour?
I've never eaten a green mango that's not in the salad---- but Wiki sez:
" In Central America, mango is either eaten green mixed with salt, vinegar, black pepper and hot sauce"

"may be eaten raw with salt, chili, or soy sauce."

I think they're more sour than bitter.

I've always used a completely green mango in the salad---- but some recipes say that if it's turning a little orange/reddish and is still hard it's o.k.

I tried substituting anchovies/soy sauce etc for fish sauce ---- not the same.
I'm pretty sure that fish sauce doesn't have shrimp----- but, as said, check the label.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
Head Chef

For those wanting to eat a ripe mango (and who doesn't??) here's a way that is less messy.

How to Slice a Mango | VeganYumYum
Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
In Thai restaurants here in the Twin Cities, "Thai hot" is the phrase you must use to getting scorchingly spicy food. Simply using the word "hot" alone gets you a dish that's warm by Minnesota standards, but won't blow your head off and send you racing to the restroom with hanky in hand.
Same here and same in Indian restaurants. I like to order medium and add extra sauce myself because I find the level of heat is inconsistent depending on the cook.

Tags
chili, pepper, recipe, sauce

Chili pepper paste or sauce Back again trying to define chili heat. Wish there was a set standard. European, asian, North American. Code 1 to 10. Made a sauce today that called for chili-garlic sauce. Was going to use Sambal Oelek which is called Chili Paste. Remembered the last (only time, so far!) that I used it. Barely a 1/4 tsp and it was HOT. This recipe called for 1 tsp. oh oh... better think this one thru! In my fridge found some (President's Choice brand) "Memories of Thailand" 'fiery chili pepper sauce'... which was not so "fiery". I subbed for that rather than the sambal but now realize I could easily have added more of this ingredient. so 1st question is.... How are we supposed to gauge just how "hot" a sauce/paste/etc is for individual recipes???? 2nd question is.... what is a good way to taste test different 'hot' spices. eat bread between tasting? or something else? yogurt? cheese? what gets rid of the heat in your mouth to gauge the next sample? Btw, it was delicious, Pla Krapong Paw. Grilled (I baked it) fish (salmon) with Coriander-Chili Sauce. soooooo good, even thou could have added more heat (but just a little, I still like to distinguish various flavours!). That's with roasted Brussels accented with zest and garlic, with the lemon-grass scented rice (from the other day :angel:) cooked in coconut milk. 3 stars 1 reviews