"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I've never eaten a green mango that's not in the salad---- but Wiki sez:
" In Central America, mango is either eaten green mixed with salt, vinegar, black pepper and hot sauce"

"may be eaten raw with salt, chili, or soy sauce."

I think they're more sour than bitter.

I've always used a completely green mango in the salad---- but some recipes say that if it's turning a little orange/reddish and is still hard it's o.k.

I tried substituting anchovies/soy sauce etc for fish sauce ---- not the same.
I'm pretty sure that fish sauce doesn't have shrimp----- but, as said, check the label.
Thanks! I will cut into it tomorrow. It won't go to waste if it's sour and eating it with soy sauce is right up my alley.

I have to dig the fish sauce out and check the label.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks! I will cut into it tomorrow. It won't go to waste if it's sour and eating it with soy sauce is right up my alley.

If it is Squid Brand Fish Sauce, then the listed ingredients are, anchovy extract, salt, sugar.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If it is Squid Brand Fish Sauce, then the listed ingredients are, anchovy extract, salt, sugar.
I think PF's fish sauce is a brand I've not heard of, she referred to it in another post a while ago. Red Boat states it's made of anchovies and salt, is gluten free, and contains no shellfish. It's also 62% of your daily sodium, yikes! Truphil states fish extract, water, salt, and sodium benzoate, no mention of shellfish, and only 15% of daily sodium intake.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don;t know the brand off hand, it was sent to me by a friend and he got it in an Asian market. I'm too tired to dig it out of the fridge to check right now.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think PF's fish sauce is a brand I've not heard of. Red Boat states it's made of anchovies and salt, is gluten free, and contains no shellfish. It's also 62% of your daily sodium, yikes!
What's the serving size for that?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

What's the serving size for that?
Both are for 1T per serving.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

I think pretty much all fish sauce is made from anchovies but def check the label
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The cause of my caution, from Wiki: Most fish sauces (extracts) are made from raw fish, some from dried fish; most from only a single species, others from whatever is dredged up in the net, including some shellfish; most from whole fish, a few from only the blood or viscera.

Until I pin down the allergy, I have to be careful.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #39
Head Chef

PF said (and it's a good idea):

"Until I pin down the allergy, I have to be careful"

Look at this brand:

Frequently Asked Questions About Red Boat Fish Sauce First Press Extra Virgin

I'm not making a recommendation but it's supported by a group called The Feingold Assoc. who SEEM to be honest. But I'm way too jaded and experienced to believe everything I read!

Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
PF said (and it's a good idea):

"Until I pin down the allergy, I have to be careful"

Look at this brand:

Frequently Asked Questions About Red Boat Fish Sauce First Press Extra Virgin

I'm not making a recommendation but it's supported by a group called The Feingold Assoc. who SEEM to be honest. But I'm way too jaded and experienced to believe everything I read!

Just a thought.
I personally don't like Red Boat that much because its too mild for my taste. But a lot of people prefer it for that reason.

Plus I hate their extra virgin, first press schtick analogy to olive oil.

And then there's this, which is misleading and preposterous: "Are other fish sauce brands labeled “Phu Quoc” authentic? Look at the label carefully. If the product does not say “Made in Phu Quoc” or “Product of Vietnam” it is likely not authentic. Many knock-offs are made or processed in Thailand or Hong Kong."

But a lot of manufacturers of fermented products (soy sauce, gojuchang, etc) add bacteria to speed up the fermentation process. Red Boat doesn't, which may account for why it's so expensive.

Tags
chili, pepper, recipe, sauce

Chili pepper paste or sauce Back again trying to define chili heat. Wish there was a set standard. European, asian, North American. Code 1 to 10. Made a sauce today that called for chili-garlic sauce. Was going to use Sambal Oelek which is called Chili Paste. Remembered the last (only time, so far!) that I used it. Barely a 1/4 tsp and it was HOT. This recipe called for 1 tsp. oh oh... better think this one thru! In my fridge found some (President's Choice brand) "Memories of Thailand" 'fiery chili pepper sauce'... which was not so "fiery". I subbed for that rather than the sambal but now realize I could easily have added more of this ingredient. so 1st question is.... How are we supposed to gauge just how "hot" a sauce/paste/etc is for individual recipes???? 2nd question is.... what is a good way to taste test different 'hot' spices. eat bread between tasting? or something else? yogurt? cheese? what gets rid of the heat in your mouth to gauge the next sample? Btw, it was delicious, Pla Krapong Paw. Grilled (I baked it) fish (salmon) with Coriander-Chili Sauce. soooooo good, even thou could have added more heat (but just a little, I still like to distinguish various flavours!). That's with roasted Brussels accented with zest and garlic, with the lemon-grass scented rice (from the other day :angel:) cooked in coconut milk. 3 stars 1 reviews