"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
now steady on bucky you only wanted me to slurp that devils brew so that you could hear an englishman scream,whatever happened to "the special relationship" thought you guy's were on our side!!
my mom is norwegian and dad irish, so my relatives have got you surrounded... (of course you can escape through france, but then again you could just stay home and surrender, thus being just like a frenchie)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

bhut jolokia hottest pepper in the world !!!

Bhut jolokia is hottest pepper in the world !!!, 401 times hotter than tabasko !!!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
"anyone out there still reading this thread? what's your fav home made chilli sauce recipe?"
and the recipe is...............?!
harry
One jar of apricot preserves, add chipotle powder just until it is almost right for you and then stop and let sit and meld the flavors. Then try it and adjust. It's that simple! You can thin it with water if you like.

I like the canned chipotles in adobo for the mango sauce, it's a fresh salsa. Chop the ripe mango, add 1-2 (or more) chopped chipotles, thin sliced green onions and a little bit of chopped cilantro.

Love both of these on grilled chicken thighs. And the mango on a white fish.

Recipes, we don't need no stinkin' recipes
Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenmagician View Post
Bhut jolokia is hottest pepper in the world !!!, 401 times hotter than tabasko !!!
I've heard the same said about the "ghost" peppers, or in milder times about the habanero peppers.

What practical difference does it make to professional and amateur/home chefs which is hottest? I've already made my opinion clear in this topic that for heat alone you can just add as much chili sauce as you like to achieve any desired hotness, including 'too hot,' 'very too much hot,' and 'black hole hot so strong that it sucks the rest of the universe into a black hole and destroys all reality.'

It doesn't matter what the hottest chilis are. What matters is the chili sauce you use, how much you add to get the desired hotness, and what other taste dimensions your sauce provides.

The same applies to ingredients, for example chilpotle peppers in adobo sauce. These are smoked jalapeņo peppers in a vinegar + garlic + other herbs and tomatoes, onions, etc. sauce. This sauce is not particularly spicy to those used to Southwestern cuisine. The reason this condiment is so popular is because it is so dimensional. It adds taste dimensions that the hotness of capsicum cannot supply.

Mere hotness can supply only one dimension: hotness. You can always add more hotness to any recipe. The challenge is to add taste dimensionality. A simplistic way of looking at it is to add capsicum to achieve hotness, and then add dimensionality via other ingredients. I believe that skilled chefs add the hotness and taste dimensionality at the same time by choosing their ingredients and which chili sauces they employ.

BTW chilis are not peppers. This was a mistake made in the 15th century when New World chilis were imported to the Old World, and the chilis most resembled their extant pepper varieties. Chilis are in the genus Capsicum. Peppers are in the genus Piper. (Some peppers are genus Pimenta.) Both can be spicy and hot depending on species.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
...BTW chilis are not peppers. This was a mistake made in the 15th century when New World chilis were imported to the Old World, and the chilis most resembled their extant pepper varieties. Chilis are in the genus Capsicum. Peppers are in the genus Piper. (Some peppers are genus Pimenta.) Both can be spicy and hot depending on species.

Just to clarify. Piper is the genus for black pepper. Capsicums are chilies and bell peppers.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just to clarify. Piper is the genus for black pepper. Capsicums are chilies and bell peppers.
I thought that's what I said. Bell peppers are not really peppers. They are merely Capsicums without venom.

So, um... What genus are white peppers? Y'know, the kind we get white pepper from.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I thought that's what I said. Bell peppers are not really peppers. They are merely Capsicums without venom.

So, um... What genus are white peppers? Y'know, the kind we get white pepper from.

I prefer the working hypothesis that there are two kinds of peppers - capsicums and pipers. I don't call peppers capsicums for the same reason I don't call black pepper piper.

White pepper is also piper. Same berry stripped of its outer shell.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Andy: you missed my intended humor.

I usually use the separate terms 'chilis' and 'peppers' to refer respectively to Capsicum and Piper. I sometimes fall into the vernacular 'chili peppers' which refers to chilis alone (called chillis by some), because so many say 'chili peppers' (or 'chilli peppers') even though technically they are not peppers, they are only chilis.

And to make it worse we have bell peppers, and green, yellow and red bell peppers, all of them the same and none of them peppers, and damned little capsaicin in any of them!

It's all the damned fault of Christopher Columbus. First he discovers the New World and he calls its inhabitants Indians, then he brings chilis back to the Old World and calls them peppers, and finally he claims he discovered America even though the Scandinavians had been traveling there for hundreds or thousands of years.

With all the hulabaloo you he could have at least discovered India or China. Probably a good thing he didn't discover China or otherwise we'd be confusing Chinese and Indians to this day, but maybe without him we would have at least known that Native Americans are not from India. Or China.

Note that much of my post is intended as humor.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:01 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
my mom is norwegian and dad irish, so my relatives have got you surrounded... (of course you can escape through france, but then again you could just stay home and surrender, thus being just like a frenchie)
france? nah,they don't like the english,we've whupped 'em too many times over the centuries..........foods good tho'!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Brother H as you are coming over this weekend is it going to be a chilli fest and if so Madge want to know how many toilet rolls she should put in the fridge

Tags
other