"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Chilli sauce-help please!

i like my chilli sauce hot & i was in the supermarket today & saw bottles of "daves ghost pepper sauce" which,according to the label is off the richter scale of insanely hot & had all kinds of warnings about children,eyes,don't eat it without food 'cos it can burn yada yada yada.as it's made in the states have any of you guy's tried it? is it that hot & dangerous? if so i'll buy some! but i ain't putting the equivalent of $8 in mr tesco's already over stuffed coffers for a tiny bottle of sauce if it isn't going to dissolve my fillings!!
harry

Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i've had dave's insanity sauce, and it's really hot. i don't know how his ghost pepper sauce compares, but if it's any hotter you will need to go see a proctologist for a corn chute transplant.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've had dave's insanity sauce, and it's really hot. i don't know how his ghost pepper sauce compares, but if it's any hotter you will need to go see a proctologist for a corn chute transplant.
hey buckytom
they had daves insanity sauce on the same shelf.according to the labels insanity sauce is insanely hot+ ghost pepper is insanely hot++!!
sorted! i'll get some tomorrow & i've already put a couple of rolls of toilet tissue in the freezer in anticipation!!
thanks for the help bucky!
harry
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Executive Chef

That stuff is almost too hot to eat. I think the heat is so hot that it negates any flavor that the pepper may have. I don't see any reason to go hotter than habanero. Even that can be too hot for some applications.
I don't enjoy my meal when I have to get up and walk around and howl after every time I take a bite. And I am insane enough to have done that many times......

Then there is always the day after....
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

you're welcome, harry.

just for a reference point, i'm a big fan of "normal" hot sauces. i think tobasco is a very nice sauce for small children, and i can drink a shot of sauces like frank's or louisiana hot sauce as a matter of course. sriracha is also a favourite as i often squirt a good teaspoon on a slice of pizza.

but i usually don't go for the ones that are made from peppers grown by inmates in mexican insane asylums. i like hot and vinegary, but not so hot that you can feel it burn all the way into your stomach, making it tighten up.

i don't know what made me try about a good quarter teaspoon of dave's insanity one day. i must have been feeling my oats to try that much. shortly thereafter my oats spontaneously combusted...

good luck with it and i'd love to hear your review.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
That stuff is almost too hot to eat. I think the heat is so hot that it negates any flavor that the pepper may have. I don't see any reason to go hotter than habanero. Even that can be too hot for some applications.
I don't enjoy my meal when I have to get up and walk around and howl after every time I take a bite. And I am insane enough to have done that many times......

Then there is always the day after....
hey rocky
i'm in real estate,i enjoy pain!thanks for the warning but i'm still going to give it a go.won't need to let you know how it goes.......looks like you'll hear the screams your side of the pond,both during & the day after!
harry
Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
you're welcome, harry.

just for a reference point, i'm a big fan of "normal" hot sauces. i think tobasco is a very nice sauce for small children, and i can drink a shot of sauces like frank's or louisiana hot sauce as a matter of course. sriracha is also a favourite as i often squirt a good teaspoon on a slice of pizza.

but i usually don't go for the ones that are made from peppers grown by inmates in mexican insane asylums. i like hot and vinegary, but not so hot that you can feel it burn all the way into your stomach, making it tighten up.

i don't know what made me try about a good quarter teaspoon of dave's insanity one day. i must have been feeling my oats to try that much. shortly thereafter my oats spontaneously combusted...

good luck with it and i'd love to hear your review.
thanks again bucky,take a look at my reply to rocklobster,won't need to post a review,looks like you'll hear the screams your side of the atlantic!
harry
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
A man after my own heart! I don't even consider tabasco a "hot" sauce and go through a bottle of sriracha every couple weeks.

I'm a HUGE hot sauce fan - my collection currently consists of 14 different varieties, including a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce. The name sums it up perfectly - it's insane. I imagine drinking lava would be comparable. I rarely have a meal that does not have hot sauce for smothering/dipping purposes, but I can't use Dave's sauce in this manner - it's THAT hot.

Best use I've come up with? Toss it into pasta sauces or chilis while cooking - it slightly lessens the heat to something a human can safely consume, plus it really brings out the flavours.

I look forward to hearing the outcome as well!! Good luck!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek will make a red beer and then dip a toothpick into the Dave's Insanity Sauce and stir the beer with it. He says that's enough. I'm not crazy enough to try it.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I was having an Innocent Breakfast at a little diner. Eggs sausage toast. On the counter was a little bottle that said One Million Scovill heat hot sauce. I was just itching to try it. Opened the bottle and it had an eye dropper, so I put 3 drops on my plate. Dabbed a little egg using my fork. I Couldn't Breathe. And on top of that, it was a little oily/ thick, so that little bit lingered on my fork for many more mouthfuls. Don't remember what brand or who made it. I seldom use Habeneros or scotch bonnets, so anything beyond serrano chilies, tabasco, cholula or Sriracha sauces are usually hot enough for me.

I still have quite a few dried Thai chile peppers from last year's garden. I planted 2 Tabasco pepper plants a few days ago. I'll see how these are to use fresh this summer before drying them in the fall too. Jalapenos are plenty fine with me for most uses calling for chile peppers.

Tags
other