"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 09-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Compound Butters - Post your favorite recipe

I love making and using compound butters. I usually make up my own combinations like PARSLEY/DILL/LEMON ZEST for seafood and fish, PARSLEY/GARLIC for bruschetta and many Italian dishes, CILANTRO/LIME ZEST/CHIPOTLE POWDER, for Mexican dishes and sauteing seafood, and my favorite TABASCO SAUCE/GARLIC/LEMON ZEST/CAJUN SEASONING/CHIPOTLE POWDER shrimp, scallops, and many other Mexican style dishes. I know there are a ton of other combinations out there and I'd like to know what your favorites are and how you use them. I drop the butters onto a flat dish in Tablespoonsful then freeze for a couple of hours. When they're frozen, I put them in zip loc bags. It's so convenient to toss one or two into a pan or pot of soup, or whatever, without having to make them up on the spot. So what's your favorite???

Old 09-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I don't really have a favorite as I just make them with whatever I have lying around in the kitchen and fridge. I love making and using them though. I guess thinking back, one of my favorites had basil, lemon, capers, garlic, and white wine among other things.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Certified Executive Chef

Seasoned BUtters

It depends on what I am using it for. I have a small herb garden and use varigated sage butter for corn on the cob; parsley, sage, rosemary & lemon thyme (sounds like a good title for a song) for steak or pork chops. The other day I pounded a boneless/skinless chicken breast to 1/4 inch thick and made a mixture of the song herbs and added minced garlic and ginger and a few finely ground bread crumbs and mixed all with the butter and stuffed and rolled the chicken. Deglazed pan with chicken stock and dry vermouth and butter. It was very good. I am liking all of the varieties of butter mixes here.

:roll: GO DUCKS
Old 09-14-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

whatever fresh herbs are growing well in my garden.

sage and thyme butter
roasted garlic and purple basil butter (looks cool too)
raw garlic, sea salt, parsley, and sweet basil (for crostini)
paprika, garlic powder, and thyme butter (great rubbed on a roasting chicken)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Cook

oh, man...
i'm executive chef for a high-end hunting lodge out in west texas and this past weekend i had the grill master cook 30 nicely marbled [usda choice] rib eyes. i made the usual steak sauces and then i made a roasted garlic/gorgonzola butter as an alternative for the steaks...unbelievably rich.

the hunters loved it...i was almost a god for about an hour there.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
Sous Chef

:) Hi....

Gorgonzola butter, made with roasted garlic, gorganzola, parsley and S+P to taste. Unsalted butter being the base. Served on ribeyes, TO DIE FOR!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Wow!!! Thanks so much for the great responses. I've printed every one of them and you can bet they'll be added to my files. I especially like the BASIL/LEMON/CAPERS and the GORGONZOLA/ROASTED GARLIC/PARSLEY. I have seen this one before in cooking magazines but being a purist when it comes to steak I've hesitated to use it. I'm going to try it this weekend on HALF of my steak to see what happens. Keep them coming and thanks again. You've given me some great stuff here.
BTW this morning we had one of our favorites, BUTTER/HONEY/CINNAMON/HAZELNUT MEAL on fresh croissants. Ohhhhhh it just doesn't get much better.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I got the recipe from Bon Appetit mag.....it was the cover recipe 3 months ago. Freeze the leftovers.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
Everymom

I don't really think it is a compound butter as it only has one flavour, but IMHO maple butter from Quebec is absolutely outstanding on toast, pancakes etc.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz
I got the recipe from Bon Appetit mag.....it was the cover recipe 3 months ago. Freeze the leftovers.
topaz-
check your pt

Tags
None