Cornstarch/Cornflour where am i going wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Everytime I try to thicken a sauce with cornflour i always end up with white bits floating in my sauce :(:(. i blend a little with water and then add to sauce and loan behold there are the white bits everytime!!! HELP!!!:rolleyes:

Thats how I do it Douzer. The only thing to make sure your slurry is well mixed and really stir your slurry into the sauce. Also do it just before the sauce is ready, the cornflour breaks down if you keep cooking it.

Maks sure your slurry is with cold or room temp. liquid and as miniman said there are no lumps in the slurry. Then whisk it into the hot liquid in the pan to eliminate lumps.

:) Make sure you use enough water and that it's cold water. If you set slurry down a while make sure to stir it up again. Add slowly and stir whatever you are cooking until its mixed in.

I do the same, mix well with cold water , then add a little from the hot sauce to the slurry and mix well, and then gradually add to sauce.

What they said....
or, here's something that never seems to clump for me:
wondra2.jpg

I think starch is easier to deal with. That is what i started with and then after I had more expirience in the kitchen I moved onto using flour. :chef:

Try tempering it, instead. Put some of the flour or cornstarch in a bowl, and add a bit (a cup, depending on how much you are actually working with) of the hot liquid, whisking till incorporated. Then, slowly add that to the simmering pot. This method should prevent clumping.

Try tempering it, instead. Put some of the flour or cornstarch in a bowl, and add a bit (a cup, depending on how much you are actually working with) of the hot liquid, whisking till incorporated. Then, slowly add that to the simmering pot. This method should prevent clumping.
This might work with flour, but I don't believe it is going to work with corn starch. If you add a hot liquid to corn starch, it clumps immediately. We're talking a corn starch rock.

Hmmm, i always thought cornstarch and cornflour was one in the same thing!:bangin:. its definately cornflour i'm working with! would cornstarch be easier to work with?

I believe you are right. What we in the US call corn starch, is referred to as corn flour in other parts of the world.

Check this out.

Providing Andy's coment, I see how the question as about cornstarch. Little did I know that people call starch - flour, or is it other way around, I'm confused. :LOL:

Providing Andy's coment, I see how the question as about cornstarch. Little did I know that people call starch - flour, or is it other way around, I'm confused. :LOL:
You had to look at the location of the questioner. In Europe, the terms are interchangeable, but in the U.S., particularly the southwest U.S., corn flour, or masa harina, which is made from dried corn which has been soaked in lime water, is used to make Mexican specialties such as corn tortillas, tamales, empanadas, etc. Corn starch, on the other hand, is a fine powdery substance made from the endosperm of the corn kernal, and used as a thickening agent. Don't see to many enchiladas or tamales in Ireland these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom