"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 01-19-2006, 12:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I think there is a rule about adding only cold milk to hot stuff, or vice versa. I would say whisking like mad should do the trick.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I avoid lumps by removing the pan from the heat and adding the cold milk a little at a time, stirring it in as I go. Then I put the pan back on medium heat, and cook and stir as the gravy thickens.
Yup... this is what I'm thinking, although I don't take it from the heat. Add the milk VERY, VERY slowly to the roux. I don't even have to worry about the sausage being in there. I usually fry 4 slices of American-style bacon, remove them (bacon grease makes divine gravy), then add ALREADY COOKED sausage. Sprinkle the flour over the whole deal, whisking. When I add the milk, I do it tiny bits at a time, whisking all the while. I've never had lumpy gravy. No butter needed, as stated above.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I have made gravy of all kinds for decades and have NEVER heated the liquid to add.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic
Yup... this is what I'm thinking, although I don't take it from the heat. Add the milk VERY, VERY slowly to the roux. I don't even have to worry about the sausage being in there. I usually fry 4 slices of American-style bacon, remove them (bacon grease makes divine gravy), then add ALREADY COOKED sausage. Sprinkle the flour over the whole deal, whisking. When I add the milk, I do it tiny bits at a time, whisking all the while. I've never had lumpy gravy. No butter needed, as stated above.
I usually add a little bacon grease (I always have some saved in the fridge) to the skillet, as the sausage we buy is very lean and doesn't make enough grease for the amount of gravy we want. I don't bother taking the sausage out to make the gravy either.
My dog loves any leftover gravy. She's a spoiled little mutt!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I avoid lumps by removing the pan from the heat and adding the cold milk a little at a time, stirring it in as I go. Then I put the pan back on medium heat, and cook and stir as the gravy thickens.
Mylegsbig, I had to add my two cents here.....
Roux, sauce, gravy or whatever it is called, is a tough exercise in "Heat Control". I have learned the pan heat to be the only culprit AND the only "solution" to lumpy gravy. The above quote skillfuly shows the process. The stirring, beating, shaking or whisking MUST go on from start to finish.
So there is no advantage to ruining your seasoning to your iron skillet by making gravy in it. Use something else.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #16
Master Chef

Sausage Gravy

This is pretty much a weekly staple for us.... it took me a while to get this right... but I have found the hot roux and cold milk is the key and to bring the mixture to a boil. I have never had to whisk it... it does fine on it's own.

Once I have my roux the color I like it (a sandy blonde) then I pour the milk in. I just dump it in with the heat set to medium. Then I use a rubber spatula and scrape the bottoms and side to get the roux off the bottom and sides of the skillet. Give it a good stir and bring to a boil.... reduce heat and simmer. Nary a problem with lumps. I don't even think about it anymore. Tell your gal to keep trying... she will get it.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
We have had this discussion before!

I have been making roux for 40 years (it was actually one of the first things my mom taught me how to cook on a stove) and never had lumps with warm liquid -- broth or milk. I agree that hot roux/hot liquid is a no no (that's what we agreed on before! )
Oh, yeah, I remember now :) Sorry, I talk to so many people about this stuff, over time it all becomes one big blur.

I think that this particular scenario involves an aspect that makes a hot roux/warm liquid problematic. Iron. Both iron's ability to store heat as well as the high thermal mass construction of iron cooking utensils.

Even if you remove the pan from the burner, the latent heat stored in the pan could be sufficient to quickly bring 2 cups of warm milk to the starch gelling temperature. If you hit that temp before the roux is dispersed throughout the liquid- lumps.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #18
Master Chef

I should be clearer in that I don't heat up the milk. It's basically room temp, but not cold from the ice box.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
Quote:
I usually add a little bacon grease (I always have some saved in the fridge) to the skillet, as the sausage we buy is very lean and doesn't make enough grease for the amount of gravy we want. I don't bother taking the sausage out to make the gravy either.
My dog loves any leftover gravy. She's a spoiled little mutt!
It's true, the secret to sausage gravy is bacon grease =P
Old 02-22-2006, 07:09 PM   #20
Master Chef

That's a good lookin' pan of gravy, Bill. Where's the biscuits?

Tags
None