Cucumber Salad Dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I'm still trying to figure out this cucumber salad they make at a nice BBQ joint down the street.

I think you salt some cucumber rounds, some small tomatos, and some thin onion rings. let them drain in a colandaer till sort of Leathery texture.

I think the dressing is some white wine vinegar, a bit of oil, probly a pinch sugar, salt and pepper. and a good dash of Dill. it is not creamy.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Eric, there's no oil in my cucumber salad dressing. I use rice wine vinegar mixed with a good amount of sugar or sweetener to taste, along with white pepper. The less acidic rice wine vinegar is essential.

Last edited:
It could also be white wine or champagne vinegar. We always used distilled white vinegar when I was growing up; I like red wine vinegar myself.

Eric, why don't you ask them?

Sounds sort of like my refrigerator/freezer pickles. I've not used tomatoes. Thinly slice cukes and onions, salt heavily, let sit for a few hours or overnight, drain and rinse well in a colander. I've used a variety of different vinegars to make the dressing. Any of them will work. Sugar, then whatever other seasoning you want. I like celery seed.

Last edited:
I don't add tomatoes to mine, just cucumber rounds and onion slices/rings.

I use a big splash of apple cider vinegar, S&P, celery seed and a little sugar or artificial sweetener. The first day it is a little sharp and puckery, as the cucumbers release their juice it mellows out.

Last edited:
There are uncountable ways to prepare a cucumber salad depending on one´s time.

I use cucumbers, fresh dill, scallion or spring onion or 1 small red onion, radishes, champagne or rasberry vinegar, a pinch of sugar.

I marinate the cucumbers for an hour though I have also put the cucumbers and the vinegar with a half cup of sparkling water and a pinch of sugar, in a saucepan & simmered on a medium heat until a light boil and then when at room temperature, I have poured on the cucumbers and put in refrigerator to marinate until cold.

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
Recipe, Thai style cucumber salad

Eric, I'm afraid I can't help you with that specific recipe. Mine seems to be very similar but no tomato. Very very refreshing. I try to make it at least an hour ahead.

about 10" of cucumber, preferably English.
1/2 a small red onion, sliced very thin
1/3 medium sized sweet red pepper, julienned

2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar (or just plain white vinegar)
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Peel the cucumber if it is not English plus I also slice lengthwise and scoop out the seeds if there are a lot (usually in an older cucumber). This kind I then quarter and cut/slice into 1/4" (5mm) pcs.

For an English cucumber, I don't peel but like to use a mandolin to either slice thin circles or long ribbons which I then cut into thirds.

Both styles I start in a bowl and after pouring the dressing on I then arrange on a plate.

Whisk/shake the dressing until well mixed and pour evenly over the salad.

Some recipes call for to top with a lot of coriander leaves - but I'm not a fan.
This salad balances the heat of a lot of Thai recipes and I love it! Hope you give it a try!

I'm still trying to figure out this cucumber salad they make at a nice BBQ joint down the street.

I think you salt some cucumber rounds, some small tomatos, and some thin onion rings. let them drain in a colandaer till sort of Leathery texture.

I think the dressing is some white wine vinegar, a bit of oil, probly a pinch sugar, salt and pepper. and a good dash of Dill. it is not creamy.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.
I don't think I'd salt the tomatoes to drain their juice (OK for the cukes though). Grated orange rind is a nice adition to the salad and orange or lemon juice to the dressing.

Salad dressings usually recommend half vinegar to oil but it's up to your taste.

Last edited:
Cucumber salad isn't typically like other salads with a vinaigrette dressing. There were a lot of German immigrants in Texas; I believe this is the basis of the recipe. German cucumber salad often has sour cream but no oil. No tomatoes, either, although onions may be in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom