Down-Home Sausage Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I make my gravy differently than most folks.
We usually use a whole pound of sausage in our gravy, then fry another pound up into patties to go with. But there isn't that much fat in good sausage, so I usually add a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease. I think that helps the flavor, too.
The trick to not having greasy gravy is to add enough flour to soak up all the grease. The roux should look dry. Once you get the flour stirred in, take the pan off the heat to add the liquid. Add the milk a little at a time, about 1 cup to each tablespoon of flour, stirring it to get out any lumps. The mixture will look thin, but will thicken up as you cook it, like a white sauce.

In the past, I made a lot of "cream gravy" with plain old bacon grease. For that, you need a lot more seasoning, as bacon doesn't have all the spices that sausage has. I always found that about 1/2 tsp sugar made it taste a lot better. At the end of the month, when the cupboard was bare, a person could get filled up real good on cream gravy and bread.

Constance, I think the reason I had such a dislike for the white gravy was because of the stories my dad told us about his growing up. His dad died when he was nine years old leaving his mom with six children. They really had a hard time growing up and said white gravy was what they ate many times. I felt so bad for him and his siblings and my grandmother.

Thanks again Michael and all who have tried to enlightened me.

After all, I am an Aussie male - we're not the bright globes in the box. :LOL:

Cookies, Biscuits, Scones, dumplings....... :wacko:

What about pumpkin scones? Er, pumpkin biscuits?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom