Fruit juice in pan sauces?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
Can I use fruit juice instead of wine when making a pan sauce for fish or meat. I was thinking about grape juice or orange juice??

Last edited:
That would make a very sweet sauce. You may be better off just using some chicken/beef broth or fish stock if you have it.

I largely depends on the sauce and the dish. If your dish would benefit from some sweeter fruitier flavors, then go for it. Generally speaking... I'd say avoid fruit juice.

I use OJ in a pork chop recipe I have.... with sage....
hmmm I think I'm hungry again....

I've used juice in the past instead of wine, it worked for me. But wine would have been better.

Depending on what you are making it could work, but I would cut it with water or stock otherwise it will be too much most likely.

Thanks for the replies. Last question: could I also add just water and then creme fraiche, and reduce the whole thing?

Last edited:
Yes. I would think stock would be better as there is flavor there, but water would work if you don't have or don't want to use stock.
Ok, thank you. The strange thing is that I haven't yet come across organic stock here in the Netherlands. It seems that there is much more variety in the US.

Last edited:
Again, i think it depends on the dish...I use applejuice often for this purpose...where sweetness is appropriate (often with pork for example).

Wine has flavors you're not going to get from lemon juice, or vinegar, or grape juice, or orange juice.

If you're worried about the alcohol content of wine (12%) - you might look for dealcoholized wines (0.5%).

Another alternative, if you want something that will approximate the flavor of wine, is to look for something called Verjus/Verjuice (different spellings for the same thing). It has the bitter tang of wine without being fermented - and doesn't taste like grape juice.

Last edited:
Let's say for fish (salmon) and chicken?

I personally haven't used fruit uice for this purpose with fish. But considering the traditional fruit sauce made of gooseberry I'd be prepared to give it a go. For chicken I have made a pan sauce using apple juice and soy....I can't rmember now, but it was one of my favourite meals about seven yers ago. and while my orange or cherry duck recipes are usually boozy I've made decent versions without booze but plenty of fruit too.

i agree whole heartedly that juice does not have the sae flavour by anyeans as wine, and I personaly a quite boozy cook, but ust because its not the same doesn't mean you can't get good different flavours and experientation in this area could be fun. Personally, to get over the semantics, i'd think of it less as substitution for the 'same result'a variation.

I use juices all the time. I usually try to cut the juice with it's alcoholic counterpart. i.e. OJ & Cointreau. If you feel it get's too sweet, just add some stock to it.

Back
Top Bottom