"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 06-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Cook

Garlic Question

I didn't know where else to put this. So here goes. I have quite a few heads of garlic. I also buy it in the jar for convenience. Is there any way to take my fresh garlic and store it in a jar just like I buy from the store.

And what would be the ingredients if it is possible to do at home? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Cook

I would think so. My mom keeps her garlic in an uncovered porcelain container, and it keeps for quite a while.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I keep my garlic in a little wire basket that hangs on the three-tier veggie basket in my kitchen. Been doing that for 40+ years with no problem. However, I have to say, we use at least one whole head of garlic per week just for the two of us.

A day without garlic (in our house) is like a day without sunshine.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Treklady

You can chop, mince, or dice your fresh garlic and cover it with olive oil. Place it in the refrigerator!!! Try to use it up in two weeks or less. You can also use the oil and it will be garlic flavored! Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Head Chef

I usually keep my fresh garlic in the fridge - seems to last a long time.
However, I mostly have the jars of minced garlic that has to go into the refrigerator. My brother who has a lot more experience than me and is a personal chef and has had jobs in culinary......said don't bother with the fresh garlic...the minced garlic that comes in the jars is good enough for most recipes.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
My brother who has a lot more experience than me and is a personal chef and has had jobs in culinary......said don't bother with the fresh garlic...the minced garlic that comes in the jars is good enough for most recipes.
Blasphemy

just kidding, sorta

This is approriate advise for the chef's situation, where you may have a lot of garlic to prepare.

I raise about 600 heads of fresh garlic a year. But have no idea regarding the OP question. I am interested in these responses
Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I must disagree with the idea that the minced commercial garlic is 'good enough for most recipes'...while I was working, yes, I had to use that product a lot because of quantities, but it was never as good as the fresh, imo!!
Old 06-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
I must disagree with the idea that the minced commercial garlic is 'good enough for most recipes'...while I was working, yes, I had to use that product a lot because of quantities, but it was never as good as the fresh, imo!!
At the current country club that I work at, and the one I used to work at in Michigan, we would process fresh garlic each day, and use that. None of the canned stuff there!
Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Having sold millions of jars, of every size, type, and brand of garlic, and being given samples of each dozens of time, I can assure you that for my own personal taste, there is no comparison in taste/flavor to fresh garlic of the type Miss Beth grows or that one can buy (sometimes) in your local grocery.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Cook

I have waited to respond to see what you good folks would recommend. And now I have some great ideas to go with. I will tell you how my experiment goes.

Thanks for all your responses!

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None