Homemade Salsas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my salsa made last night, and it turned out great. The son-in-law and two of the boys just left, and showed their approval by stuffing their mouths full and going, "Mmm....MMMMM!" DH said the same.
I served it with Ranch Dip on the side, to cool the palate between bites, but it's really not all that hot...it doesn't slam you with a blast. It just has a nice depth of flavor and a good after-bite.

I highly recommend the El Patio tomato sauce. The contents listed are: tomato puree, water, chiles, onions, garlic, salt and spices.
When I open a can, I pour it into a Good Season's salad dressing bottle, so I can dispense it a little at a time. It's some kick-butt stuff, and really cheap.

My future daughter-in-law is Mexican, and grew up in Mexico City, where her mother had a small restaurant. She cooked a couple of meals for us last time she was here. I had her look through my pantry before she went to the store, in case I had some of the things she needed. She found a can of the El Patio, grinned, and said, "Ah!"
One 7-3/4 oz can ended up being enough for two meals for four.

Thanks everyone for your recipes. I came up with a red salsa by combining different ingredients from a few recipes. I just made the salsa tonight and it was so good, first try too!!!:) It's not really spicy hot, so maybe next time if I wanted it to be more spicy I could add more peppers. Here's what I came up with.

Red Salsa

2 tomatillos
8 Roma tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
1 serrano pepper
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 med white onion, quarted
2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/4 cup cilantro
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. fresh black pepper
juice of 1 lime

Place all the vegetable in a roasting pan under the broil in the oven. Roast until charred all around. Let the veg. cool. Then add everything in a blender. Pulse at first to get the tomatoes going, then blend until everthing is finely chopped.

***I did take out the seeds of the peppers because I was not sure how hot it would be. Next time I probably won't and I may also add another pepper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom