"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Well, that's a bummer. Just keep playing with the recipe. You're saying that without the pepperoncini, it would have been good?

Sure, you can mention the mag, as long as you aren't advertising or spamming!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I think the ones I was referring to are also called Thai bird peppers.
Hi taxlady, I'm just west off island, not too far but far enough..

I believe Thai bird peppers is what I have. When I want Asian goods I drive into the West Island (Sources Rd) and shop there. Which is where I got these. For $1.26 as compared to the big stores selling the same thing & quantity for $4.50. duhh...
I am new to cooking with them and a little timid. I came across another site which stated that they freeze their excess from the garden. So I followed their advise and did just that. Washed them gently, patted dry, plopped them in a sandwich baggie and into the freezer. The ones I used tonight are some that I had set aside but still not used.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Head Chef

Thanks Dawglover, the recipe is from Cooks Illustrated, Jan/Feb '14 edition.

Yeah, I actually think it didn't need the Pepperoncini. Next time will make it with 3 of the fresh chili's. Of course, I realize that by exchanging the fresh for dried is giving a different cha..ching! on the whole recipe - just didn't think it would have been that much. Ahhhh... cooking is such a learning curse.... no, no .... I meant curve!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Hi taxlady, I'm just west off island, not too far but far enough..

I believe Thai bird peppers is what I have. When I want Asian goods I drive into the West Island (Sources Rd) and shop there. Which is where I got these. For $1.26 as compared to the big stores selling the same thing & quantity for $4.50. duhh...
I am new to cooking with them and a little timid. I came across another site which stated that they freeze their excess from the garden. So I followed their advise and did just that. Washed them gently, patted dry, plopped them in a sandwich baggie and into the freezer. The ones I used tonight are some that I had set aside but still not used.
I'm on the West Island, in DDO. That store has to be Marché Kim Hoa. That's the store I was talking about in my previous post.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
BTW, I always sauté hot peppers before I add them to a recipe. I find they have an unpleasant "raw" flavour otherwise. Those bird peppers are quite hot.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Depends on the type of chili. Red pepper flakes can be a combination of cayenne, ancho, New Mexican, California, etc and the seeds are used. I suggest you add a little at a time as to not over do it. Heat that over powers taste isn't a good thing.
I've now gotten to the point that there is no heat that overpowers the taste anymore. I use ghost peppers in my stuff, and love it. I love the flavor of the peppers, and the heat just comes along for the ride.

I also find that peppers that add no flavor are a waste of time for me. I don't find dried cayenne peppers to have much flavor. I use peppers that have lots of whether hot or not.

But I agree with CraigC. Go slow with the peppers. Add a little; let it cook; taste it after several minutes of cooking time. Add more if required. Pepper when used properly add great favor, and a little excitement to the recipes they are used in. But don't add them just because they are there, or just for the heat. Add them for the flavor, and if you don't mind the heat, well that's a good thing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chili, chili peppers, pepper, peppers