"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Contadina – Products – All Tomato Sauce – Tomato Sauce

Hunt's Tomato Sauce | Hunt's

Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep, that's the stuff I see.

"Hunt's Tomato Sauce Made from all-natural, vine-ripened tomatoes simmered with salt, spices, and natural flavors for seasoning, Hunt's Tomato Sauce contains no added sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners."

Whereas the puree is "Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Salt, Citric Acid"

But we may never know what the OP meant...

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, pac.

hunt's canned tomato sauce was exactly what i was thinking of.

it's very lightly spiced, so besides being cooked it's not far from straight puree. it's a great quick sauce for delicate things like fish where too much in the way of spices or onions, garlic, etc. over does it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Master Chef

When I read the labels on canned tomato sauce, there are always "flavoings" meaning herbs and spices, and there is also green peppers. Tomato puree is simply tomato, sometimes tomato juice, and salt.

I like using crushed tomatoes, or tomato puree as my starting point, as it's as close to fresh tomatoes as I can get, without canning my own. It's a blank slate, so to speak, that allows me to flavor my sauce however I desire, and for whatever purpose I'm making the sauce for. In other words, it's more versatile than is tomato sauce.

Turning puree into sauce can be as simple as adding a little onion and garlic powder, or as complex as making a Bolognase, or a Tomato Sauce (as in the French Mother Sauce).

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The difference between tomato puree and tomato sauce is puree is raw and sauce is cooked. Cook the puree, with or without adding anything to it, and it becomes sauce.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
The difference between tomato puree and tomato sauce is puree is raw and sauce is cooked. Cook the puree, with or without adding anything to it, and it becomes sauce.
Any canned food has to be cooked to be safe in the can. Granted, the acidity means you can process your tomato puree in a water bath. But it still has to be cooked.

According to this - Tomato Puree - Kitchen Dictionary - Food.com, or this - Tomato purée - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, or this - Tomato paste vs. tomato purée vs. tomato sauce | Cookthinkm tomato puree is briefly cooked, and is usually unseasoned, with no additional ingredients other than tomato and water. It's thinner than is either sauce or paste as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Do you want to make it into a "marinara" sauce? In that case, sauté some garlic and onion, or just garlic, add the tomato sauce, let it simmer a bit. Add some spices like oregano and salt. Check to make sure it's not too acidic. If it's too acidic add a teaspoon or so of sugar.

Tags
other, sauce