"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #71
Assistant Cook

Re about boil

Hello

I am new to this site and was wondering about the whole fermentation process. I boiled my mash with canning jars and some sucked down on the lids and others didnt, this is why I came back and read the rest of this post and now I am confused. So now I am going to pop open all my lids and pack down the pepers till the juices come to the top ( by juices do you mean the juice from the peppers or add water to the top after I packed them down and fyi I put a tablespoon of salt at the top pre boil and gave a slight shake) and wait for bubbles. Know here is my question, after I do all this I lightly close the lid now these are canning jars I used if I pack salt around the top where the canning jar ring and the lid connect will that give a well enough seal after the gasses escape, or should I use a completly diffrent container. LOL please help I love hot sauces and this is my first atempt at sacraficing my little babies that I grew all summer.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #72
Assistant Cook

Salt-Free process question???

This is a great thread. I've read lots of other sites and this has the most useful information. One question. I love everything hot, but also have hypertension which means keeping salt low. One good site is Mild to Wild where they describe the process they use to make mash. What's unique is they don't use any salt! I'm wondering if the wine-making water fermentation air locks mentioned on a few posts here could be used and then just skip the salt layering used here? There have no feedback/comments on actual experience from those mentioning air locks. Would appreciate some advice?
Thanks much!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #73
Head Chef

I got a hot pepper sauce kit for Christmas a few years back, and it came with
a fermentation air lock. Instructions had no salt layer mentioned.

My puppy at the time ate the freaking air lock while I was happily preparing my
mash, so I never got a chance to use it......

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None