"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 08-20-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Sherry is a great idea, thanks!

I have had other white gravies that had much more flavor than mine so I know it is possible. I am not generally a fan of chain restaurants, but when I do find myself at a Chili's I almost always get their chicken friend steak. Their gravy is really very flavorful. That is the sort of thing I am shooting for. Of course being a Northern boy, that is the only chicken friend steak I have ever had other than what I have made myself.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I like my white gravy made with sausage drippings, and perhaps some crumbled sausage, always some poultry seasoning (Bells is best), and cayenne. I used to make if for my kids, they loved it with lots of plain old yellow mustard in it and lots and lots of black pepper in either version.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I suspect that Chili's puts some stuff in their gravy that you wouldn't use on a bet. Most likely it has MSG and some sort of concentrated chicken flavor , plus a ton of salt.

There's a good brand of liquid (more of a gel) chicken and beef concentrate available - like bullion cubes but better. Can't remember the brand. Comes in a very small jar, may be from Canada. It might beef up the flavor, so to speak.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I am no expert on this dish, but I love chicken friend steak. This is a recipe from Alton Brown. He's pretty good with ratio's.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._34019,00.html
Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

I actually think MSG is a great tool in cooking and has gotten a bad rap because of misguided media. I forgot to mention that I actually did put a dash of that in the sauce.

Are you thinking of chicken base? I used that to make my stock that I added, but I bet another bit added to the sauce itself would have helped too. Not sure why I did not think of that in the first place.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I like the mustard idea -- a teaspoon of Dijon could work wonders. Or a hit or two of Worcestershire Sauce.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:51 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I haven't used MSG for years, but I recall it giving an odd taste to some dishes -- maybe too amplified. I once tried it on popcorn -- yuck!

Can't recall the name, but yeah, it's chicken base, I guess.

Alton Brown's use of Thyme seems like a good idea, too, or perhaps marjoram.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #18
Head Chef

The way we do it is:
About equal parts of your pan drippings and flour....if not enough pan drippings to make the amount of gravy we want..we add some butter. Then use part milk and part evaporated milk....lots of black pepper....and we always add just a "little bit" of sugar to bring the flavors out.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
sattie, what is Season All? I have never heard of it.

Jan I used a lot of cracked black pepper, but probably not nearly enough. I still think even with a lot more pepper it would be lacking dimension. I will certainly use much more next time though.
It is made by McCormick, Season All Seasoned Salt. The only reason why I get it is for gravy.... honest. It has salt, spices, (chili pepper, black pepper, celery seed, nutmeg, and cariander just to name a few. It goes really good with like french fries and baked potato wedges, but I rarely cook it.

Mastering gravy has taken me several years and I really can't say that I have mastered it, but I can whip it up pretty consistently now. As others have stated, using the oil from the meat cooked is a good start, but I have found that it is never enough. Using stock is something that I have never thought of and I am glad you posted it. Also, lots of cracked pepper is good, but you can get carried away with it. If I want a bit of spice in my gravy, I go with red pepper flakes. All in all, I have found that Season All has given my gravy that little oomph that it needed. I just sprinkle some on, a bit heavy handed right before serving and it is good to go.

HTH,
Satin
Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

More grease, more browning the flour and grease to a very very light brown. LOTS of pepper as the other southerner said. cook the roux. Add the milk. If it is too thick add more milk/liquid--easy enough. I really suspect you are trying to cut down on the grease/fat portion if your gravy isn't flavorful. And cook the flour and fat together more.

Tags
None