Is This Good Teriyaki Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngchefpat

Assistant Cook
is this a good recipe for teriyaki? and if not what are some good changes? I would like to make a decent batch.

3oz sake rice wine
7oz soy sauce
6oz mirin
2tbsp sugar

i think i will add some chopped garlic and a splash of lemon juice...

It is probably as good as any. I add some garlic and don't use sake--nor mirin actually.

I've got to agree with Tattrat. Add some pineapple, either juice, tidbits, or crushed, if not a combination, to your sauce.

Also, try hunting around for a different soy sauce. Kikkoman is great for some things, but, where I work, we also get "Golden Mountain" brand "Seasoning sauce", which has soy in it's ingredients, but has a very DIFFERENT flavor. I want to try making stuff at home with this brand as opposed to Kikkoman.

your recipe as above looks about right. of course, you've got to poke your finger in and taste it. other than in restaurants, which use large quantities and where it has to taste the same from day to day and year to year, not many here would use a recipe. also, the juice from a knob of finely grated fresh ginger is also quite standard.

garlic, pineapple, lemon juice, etc. are not standard, but should be considered as variations in order to highlight or compliment whatever you're cooking. a lot of western adaptations of eastern recipes seem to call for sherry, but over here people would be aghast. other than being sweet and containing alcohol, there are no other similarities. the taste is quite different.
if you are doing a saute, a few drops of sesame seed oil at the end adds a terrific fragrance.

about soy sauce: soy sauces which contain the fewest ingredients are generally indicative of a good product. those that include wheat or other grains, alcohol, or colorings, etc. won't be as good.
icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom