"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs

Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
Sous Chef

ISO: Gravy or Sauce for Pan Roasted Chix...

anybody have ideas for a gravy or sauce for some pan roasted chicken breast? (s&p dry rub, then caramalize on pan and finish in oven).

TIA!

Old 01-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Sous Chef

btw...will prolly have stuffing as a side, so gravy / sauce that can be used for both would be great!!

Old 01-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

When you set the chicken aside to rest, drain most of the fat from the pan and saute some chopped shallots. Deglaze the pan with some white wine and reduce it. Add some chicken broth and reduce that. Finish with some heavy cream and reduce that to thicken. Season to taste. You would get enough sauce for the chicken but may not have enough to sauce the stuffing.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

My recipe isn't as classy as Andy's, but it makes a delicious country gravy. Remove chicken from pan. Whisk flour into the chicken fat to make a roux, (cook a few minutes if you want), whisk in chicken broth & milk, stir and cook on medium to med/high heat until thickened, then season with S&P and a pinch of sugar. A pinch of thyme and/or sage would be a good addition.
Here's my rule...1 tsp fat, 1 tsp flour, 1 cup liquid. I usually just eyeball it. I go half/half on the broth and milk.
If you don't want a white gravy, use all broth or half broth and half water.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds good to me, Constance.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Sous Chef

made your sauce last night Andy..it was fantastic!! a definate keeper!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
made your sauce last night Andy..it was fantastic!! a definate keeper!
Glad you liked it. It's a basic sauce you can use for a lot of different things, not just chicken.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #8
Head Chef

I do the same as Constance does for the gravy for pan roasted chicken or even pork chops. Will have to make it Andy's way soon!!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Andy can you please give me the exact dimensions of that sauce you listed? I am going to cook up 1 lb of Boneless Skinless chicken breasts, along with some cornbread stuffing, and would like to put this sauce on my food.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
Andy can you please give me the exact dimensions of that sauce you listed? I am going to cook up 1 lb of Boneless Skinless chicken breasts, along with some cornbread stuffing, and would like to put this sauce on my food.

Thanks in advance.
MLB, I don't measure this stuff so here's my best guess.

Finely chop two shallots and add them to the pan. Sauté until they are soft and fragrant.

Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of white wine or vermouth. cook over med. high heat, scraping up any fond and stirring until the wine is reduced to a couple of tablespoons.

Add a half cup of chicken broth and reduce that to half the original volume.

Add a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream and simmer until the sauce thickens. Adjust the seasoning.

As an alternative to the cream, take the pan off the heat and whisk in a few tablespoons of butter, one at a time to enrich and thicken the sauce.

Tags
None