"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO how to recreate discontinued Kraft BBQ sauce?

Hello, I was very upset to find out today after emailing Kraft asking where to find their wonderful Sweet and Sour BBQ Sauce that it's been discontinued. I have used this sauce for decades on pork and chicken and am at a loss.

If anyone is familiar with this sauce and knows either another brand that tastes nearly identical, or how to recreate it so it tastes the same, do please tell me.

I joined this forum just to ask about this, so I do hope someone has some good news for me.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Master Chef

Try either one of these:

Sweet & Sour BBQ Sauce

Mississippi Sweet and Sour Barbeque Sauce

Old 04-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

ingredients

Ok, after checking out the one posters answer of two different recipes, it's obvious he's never used the Kraft product I'm talking about, since the recipes he gave have nothing in common with the product I'm speaking about. Unless you've used the Kraft product and really know what it's like, please don't answer.

This is the list of ingredients on the Kraft bottle.

sugar/glucose-fructose, water, vinegar, pineapple juice concentrate, modified corn starch, canola oil, salt, cooking molasses, spices and seasonings, hydrolyzed soy protein (flavor enhancer), dried onions, xanthan gum (thickener), color, natural flavor.

That is exactly how it appears on the label, so anything with ketchup or soy sauce or any other type of sweet and sour sauce recipe is a no go.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Ease up, dude...
Old 04-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exquisite Epicurean View Post
Ok, after checking out the one posters answer of two different recipes, it's obvious he's never used the Kraft product I'm talking about, since the recipes he gave have nothing in common with the product I'm speaking about. Unless you've used the Kraft product and really know what it's like, please don't answer.

sugar/glucose-fructose, water, vinegar, pineapple juice concentrate, modified corn starch, canola oil, salt, cooking molasses, spices and seasonings, hydrolyzed soy protein (flavor enhancer), dried onions, xanthan gum (thickener), color, natural flavor.

That is exactly how it appears on the label, so anything with ketchup or soy sauce or any other type of sweet and sour sauce recipe is a no go.
Being rude is no way to get an answer.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:

I've never seen that Kraft product in my area of the US. Beside that, I generally don't want the majority of that crap in a BBQ sauce. Probably why I mostly make my own, with very few exceptions. Good luck in your search for what I consider garbage!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Here's a link to some vinegar based sauce recipes - these tomato free sauces are fairly common in the SE USA: https://www.thespruceeats.com/top-vi...recipes-333732

BBQ sauce isn't hard to make and you can freeze it.

I am unaware of any commercial products that might fit the bill but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Get some regular Kraft barbecue sauce and add sugar, vinegar and pineapple juice till you like the flavor. Measure as you go so you can recreate it.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Get some regular Kraft barbecue sauce and add sugar, vinegar and pineapple juice till you like the flavor. Measure as you go so you can recreate it.
The most sensible answer here, thank you.

To the others that felt the need to reply when they did not need to, I didn't realize asking for help from someone that actually knew was "being rude."
Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The most sensible answer here, thank you.

To the others that felt the need to reply when they did not need to, I didn't realize asking for help from someone that actually knew was "being rude."
You're welcome.

That's not exactly what you did Telling people who are trying to help not to try to help is rude.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

Sweet-and-Sour Sauce Recipe - Kraft Recipes

I don't know if this recipe will work but I was thinking you might replace the ketchup with bbq sauce and see if it works. I'm not familiar with the original you are trying to recreate so can guarantee the results will be what you want.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Hello, I was very upset to find out today after emailing Kraft asking where to find their wonderful Sweet and Sour BBQ Sauce that it's been discontinued. I have used this sauce for decades on pork and chicken and am at a loss.

If anyone is familiar with this sauce and knows either another brand that tastes nearly identical, or how to recreate it so it tastes the same, do please tell me.

I joined this forum just to ask about this, so I do hope someone has some good news for me.

Try here: They have 5 store locations in Canada. You're welcome in advance, heh.

https://www.iga.net/en/product/sweet...00006810007850

Closed Thread

Tags
bbq, how to, other, sauce