ISO Mushroom Gravy Instructions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
I am not so good at gravy. So I want to put it over boiled meat so I have no drippings. But I have a stock the meat was cooked in. I also have some very reduced almost demi glac like turkey or beef/Tomato stock in my freezer. Need instructions. Don't want thick overly rich wallpaper glue (what happened last 2 times)thanks!!!!!! I also have mushrooms obviously and a full pantry

I am not so good at gravy. So I want to put it over boiled meat so I have no drippings. But I have a stock the meat was cooked in. I also have some very reduced almost demi glac like turkey or beef/Tomato stock in my freezer. Need instructions. Don't want thick overly rich wallpaper glue (what happened last 2 times)thanks!!!!!! I also have mushrooms obviously and a full pantry
How did you make your gravy last time?

Did you use roux? Corn starch? Flour and water slurry? What liquid did you use for the gravy?

I would fry the mushrooms in butter or fat and when they are nearly as cooked as you want, sprinkle with flour and cook, with constant stirring, for a a couple of minutes. Then I would add the liquid and stir and scrape off any fond from the 'shrooms. Let it thicken. Add more liquid if it's too thick.

How did you make your gravy last time?

Did you use roux? Corn starch? Flour and water slurry? What liquid did you use for the gravy?

I would fry the mushrooms in butter or fat and when they are nearly as cooked as you want, sprinkle with flour and cook, with constant stirring, for a a couple of minutes. Then I would add the liquid and stir and scrape off any fond from the 'shrooms. Let it thicken. Add more liquid if it's too thick.
+1
would saute minced onions and coarsely diced mushrooms in butter then add flour in 1/2 the amount of the butter used. After the flour is browned, add enough stock to bring gravy to the desired consistency.
If necessary add salt to taste.

Last edited:
I made it per your instructions and was delicious. I cooked onions and mushrooms, garlic in chicken fat until very browned. Added a few tb flour and cooked it with mushrooms for a min and added seasoning and stock. Came out really good and not like rich brown goo. Thanks!

I fry the mushrooms with some onions too, add some flour, then some beef stock and a little Marsala . When it is thickened you can add some creme fraiche at the end for a creamy sauce. (optional ) . I do this gravy often , goes great with steak and with pork.

This came out so good. Very simple don't know why I didn't get it earlier!! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom